Lets Split!!

Split Travel Blog

Artwork in Split

People we met here that made our trip better:

Sarah,Laura (Usa),Tasha,Jenna,Chrissy(Canada),Alison(Australia)

Acoomodation:

Split hostel

Finally the day had arrived that our eastern europe trip would begin.We(me and my girlfriend stacey) woke at 03.30am to leave for our flight to Split.We arrived in Split around 11 am and were settled in our hostel pretty quickly.So first thing we did was drop our bags and head off for a walk around the city.

Firstly we were meant to meet two american girls,one of which had contacted me through Travbuddy(first meet ever).We decided to go and have some drinks somewhere and chat,but i had other things on my mind.

Graffitti
It was the FA cup final so i dragged them to a sports bar to watch the game.We enjoyed a few Kaltenburgs(beer o choice) and got to know each other,as we would be spending alot of time together over the next few days.

We left the girls and went off to have a look around Diocletians Palace.I found this place very strange because something like that in England would be roped off and you would have to pay to get near it and everything,but here people still lived in it and there were shops,restaraunts and markets.Whilst looking around we found a great underground market selling local meats and wine etc.

We went back to the hostel where we met Chrissy,Jenna and Tasha,three canadian girls who were on a european trip and after chatting with them on the terrace outside we decided to head out to bar with them where we met sarah and laura again and three american guys aswell.

Diocletians palace meeting place!
I was chatting with one of the american guys about the forces because he was in the american army and i had just left the Royal Navy.I was astounded to find out the medals he had,in the british forces it is notoriously hard to get a medal even if you go to a warzone or not but he was telling me he had medals for passing out of basic training.I found that very hard to comprehend.Probably jealousy as i left with no medals.haha.Shortly after me and stacey headed back to the hostel as it had been a very long day for the both of us and we needed some sleep for the next day.

On our second day in Split we started early thanks to loudmouthed synchronised swimming team staying in our hostel shouting there mouths off at 7 am.So we were lying in bed awake when one of the canadian girls came in from her night out and duely made sure we were awake by screaming her head off.

Croatian parking
All i can say is she was lucky i was already awake.haha.

We started our morning by heading to the morning produce in Split which was fantastic and bought easily the most amazing strawberries i have ever tasted in my life,so good that i vowed never to have strawberries again so that i dont ruin the memory of them.

We then decided to head up 'Marjan Hill' which overlooks Split and was a very pleasant walk even if it was steep at times.As we neared the top of the hill we decided to go to Split zoo,and for £1 per person whos complaining.............I was!!Firstly my batteries had ran out on my phone and secondly the zoo was an absolute disgrace.It took us about 15 minutes at a push to get around and the enclosures were a shambles.The animals at this zoo where clearly not very well looked after.

Marjan Hill
I only hope it is shut down sooner rather than later.

We decided to carry on over 'Marjan Hill' where we found some running trails throught the woods where every 100 yards or so the were weights made from logs,very amusing.We finally ended up on the other side of the hill on Bene beach,which wasnt really a beach but was a very nice spot away from the city and next to the sea.We decided to walk back around the hill as we couldnt face the walk back up again.This turned out to be a very long walk and Stacey struggled in the heat big time,which i found quite amusing but having worked out we probably had walked around 10miles i let her off.haha.

Then we got back to the hostel a had a little kip in the afternoon then decided to go and sit on the terrace outside the hostel where we met Alison and australian girl who had just arrived from Zadar.We all decided to go down to the promenade for a few beers and after much deliberating we bought a box of croatian wine and went back to enjoy it on the terrace.The night finished abruptly when someone threatend to call the police beacause apparently you arent allowed to talk outside in split after 10pm.

Vikram says:
The city's called Split?! LOL!
Posted on: Jun 16, 2011
skydiver says:
Heeey, you managed to upload some pics suddenly. Congratulations. ;-)
Posted on: Jul 09, 2008
Diocletians palace meeting place
Diocletians palace meeting place
Diocletians palace
Diocletians palace
For all you drug users out there!
For all you drug users out there!
Well in Diocletians palace
Underground markets!
Underground markets!
Split Hostels review
Booze and Snooze
When we arrived in Split hostel the check in procedure was nice and smooth.They had lockers which were big enough to get our backpacks and day bags in… read entire review
Split Sights & Attractions review
Worst Zoo ever!
Well unfortunately i have no photos of Split zoo,due to my camera running out of batteries on the way up to the zoo.But maybe thats a good thing.Becau… read entire review
Split Sights & Attractions review
great views
When in Split you cant miss Marjan Hill,it overlooks Split and it stands there just asking you to walk up it. So on our second day,we decided to go… read entire review
photo by: asturjimmy