Dhaka Travel Blog

Our Biman airlines flight to Kathmandu, with a 24 hour layover in Dhaka, was unforgettable.  It was an old Fokker that saw better days in the 60's.  Dad's seatbelt was inoperable, while my tray table was broken and wouldn't stay up.  During takeoff, the bulkhead panel litterally fell over, hitting the passengers in the front.  Condensation was dripping down on us and flies were buzzing over our faces while warbly Indian music played at inconsistant speeds, slowed and finally stopped when the tape got chewed up in the player.  I thought we were done for when the pilot made a massive overcorrection while steering around a cloudbank.  Still, the flight attendant kept a cheery smile on her face.

By some miracle we landed in Dhaka in one piece and immediately set out to see the city from the back of a pedicab.  I had never before seen such poverty and filth in my life.  Half naked dirty kids playing in shallow pools of green goo and families living out of cardboard.  It was so surreal.  We stopped at the docks to see a rusty ferry pulling in with piles of people hanging off it in every direction.  I didn't know that many people could physically occupy that little space.   After a day of this, I think we were ready to move on.

photo by: cimtech