The most beautiful district in Uganda

Fort Portal Travel Blog

This mist on the hill sided in the early morning

I'm Ugandan and I should know: I have visited almost all 45 districts in my country and of all the bigger townships; I must say that none is as beautiful as Fort Portal. Fort Portal is located about 311 kilometers from Kampala in the western most region of Uganda; a long drive by all means considering Ugandan roads are not that good. I visited Fort Portal on many occasions during trips to Ruwenzori Mountains, to Ndali Lodge one of the best accommodations in the Kibale National Forest area.

It is one of the areas where you are likely to come across Colobus monkeys. Some activities in this are includes a drive to Lake Nkuruba where the Colobus Monkeys spend most of their time. A list of things to consider when in Fort Portal includes:

• Viewing Colobus Monkeys at Lake Nkuruba
  • Crater Lakes past Rwaihamba
  • The Gluepot Pub is probably the only fun night life spot in the town (could have changed, it has been a while since I was last there)
  • Market day on Wednesdays in Mugusu
  • Watching the sunset over the Ruwenzori Mountains

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain.

This mist on the hill sided in the…
This mist on the hill sided in th…
Fort Portal