White Water Rafting at Bujagali Falls

Jinja Travel Blog

Rafters in Jinja @ the Nile

Jinja is well known for the location of the source of the Nile and white water rafting in Uganda. Jinja is located on the shores of Lake Victoria near the Source of the White Nile and is the center of the Kingdom of Busoga. My visits to Jinja were frequent and fun always, my girlfriend's family lived there and I enjoyed the trips with tourists to the Source of the Nile. On two occasions I stayed at the famous Jinja Nile Resort which my company was promoting it as the hotel of choice for white water rafters. Later on I learned of a beautiful resort that was owned by the best friend of Stephen my British friend: the Kingfisher Safaris Resort.

Rafting the nile (Uganda)

For the adrenaline lover, white water rafting at the source of the White Nile is the ultimate push. It is said that the source of the Nile and its life-giving floods eluded many for many, many years. Explorers named the Ruwenzori (Mountain of the Moon) as the source. This drew a lot of attention in the 17th century until Speke the English explorer found it in the last half of the 17th century. At the Source of the Nile is Bujagali Falls where White Water Rafting has become the newest addition to Uganda's attractions. You can go on either a one-day trip for this exciting activity or 14 days of various attractions, which include water rafting, gorilla, wildlife game birding and so much more. I do recommend that you consult a travel agent to arrange the longer safaris that include rafting; it can take the wind out of you if you are not strong, lol!!

Well all that is history, what I know from actually rafting on the White Nile is that there is no thrill like the grade five rafting that takes place there.

WHITE WATER RAFTING AT BUJAGALI
Now when I first went rafting, there was only one rafting company in my country called ADRIFT, now we have three different companies all competing for the same business. To understand why mine was more than a thrill but the boarder line between fear of death and excitement, you have to take a mental as well as physical trip through my mind as I outwardly showed excitement for the adventure.

With a group of six, we were transferred by road from Kampala to Jinja and straight to the Nile, about a two-hour drive. We were met by very pleasant tour guides and asked to change into the well-tailored rafting suits/ floaters . . . Check out my review on rafting the Nile.

Africancrab says:
There is no direct flight from Cairo to Gulu, you must fly into Entebbe first. From Entebbe to Gulu depends on the domestic carrier you use. It's been a while since I flew domestically. The road trip is more exciting. It is an 8 hours bus ride from Kampala to Gulu. So many buses go up there and it is definitely cheaper than flying.
Posted on: Aug 13, 2009
Transitory says:
The Nile looks so clean here versus Cairo, hehe. Do you know far is the flight from Cairo to Gulu and approx. costs?
Posted on: Aug 12, 2009
Africancrab says:
It is a hectic adventure and quite an adrenaline rush too.
Posted on: Mar 11, 2009