Uganda Martyr's Shrine: A Christian Pilgrimage

Namugongo Travel Blog

I was born Catholic: this means following doctrine to the Nth degree. My father made it a point to send us to church every Sunday on the clock, even though he and my mother (protestant) never really came to church with us. They made sure we were religious enough: so religious my sisters and I ended up in an all-girls catholic college in a different district all together. Not going to church was quite simply 'sinful'. June 3rd (the National Martyrs day) was observed with prayer even though' we never made the pilgrim to the Martyrs shrine in Namugongo.

The history of the Martyrs is taught in all Catholic schools under religious Studies or what is referred to as divinity in higher learning. The very first time I ever visited the shrine, was through a school trip organized by the Church Council through the Sisters of Verona. I can still hear people wailing and falling to their knees miles away from the actual shrine.

You can hear the Cardinal over the PA calling on the Martyrs to pray for us to the Lord our God. Well Catholics believe in intercession: standing in the gap on behalf of those who cannot. The Namugongo Cathedral is an architectural work that is amazing in itself.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain.

Namugongo Sights & Attractions review
The Place of Martyrdom
This is the location of the famous massacre of young Catholic and Protestant believers who refused to renounce their faith in Jesus Christ or Christia… read entire review
Namugongo