Traditions, traditions and cultures

Kasubi Travel Blog

Kasubi Tombs (Uganda)

KASUBI TOMBS: The Tombs of Buganda Kings. The Tombs of Buganda Kings at Kasubi covers over 30 acres of hillside land. The top of the hill is Palace of the former Kings (Kabakas) of Buganda, built in 1882. It has now been converted into royal burial ground. Four royal tombs now lie within the Muzibu Azaala Mpanga, the main building, which is circular and surmounted by a dome. For someone like me who loves and craves architectural beauty, I can testify to the fact that the tombs are a major example of an architectural achievement in organic materials: Made absolutely from wood, thatch, reed, wattle and mad. The main significance of this site is the preservation of traditional values and beliefs, spirituality, continuity of life after death and human identity.

Kasubi Tombs

I can tell you that the architects of today would speak to the fact that these Tombs are a masterpiece of human creativity both in its conception and its execution. It is also a living testimony of the strong values the Baganda attached to their traditions and belief systems. I the earlier times, the Ganda (Central people) were known to be great architects and hard workers. Disciplined, respectful and loyal to their kings unto death. Because of the respect accorded the dead, it is almost impossible to take pictures at this site.

Visiting the Tombs would be part of a great Cultural Tour; I love culture and enjoy the background history that is the tradition and belief system of different people. I will tell you right now that my part of the world has history like you do not find in books. My friends never did understand why I knelt down to greet my own father, or why I will not talk back to my older sister even when she is WRONG, hehee!. That is what we call respect. Where I come from, respect is synonymous with life itself. It is the core, of who we are, but of course times are changing and the older generation is fighting to preserve the traditions and the older ways.

I marvel these days when I see how the young ones dress, the manner in which they speak, the way they address elders and how they are quick to come to their own defense. One of the most respectful cultures In Uganda, is that of the Baganda - there is a common saying back home that no leader can rule the country without the support of the Banganda and no ‘muganda’ can ever rule the country . . . long story

montecarlostar says:
Very interesting Harriet!!
Posted on: Dec 24, 2009
Koralifix says:
Great writing about your culture, Harriet!
Posted on: Mar 15, 2009
Africancrab says:
How interesting that you say that: I guess America is not very receptive of other cultures, instead they want everyone to embrace theres. Given that, I would say it is hard to transport and incorporate. I'm sure enough has been transported, you look at the mix in the country one would think a little bit of cultural change would be apparent huh!
Posted on: Mar 12, 2009