Gateway to Murchison Falls National Park

Masindi Travel Blog

This blog should read many years back, my memory fails me: Masindi is a place I have travelled through on many occasions, from visiting my family in Panyimur, to trips to Murchison Falls National park. The memories are of the pot holes on the roads that leave a distinct pain on your side after a few hours of driving on them. I still recall my father's trips through Masindi and the food he brought home that my mother was so sure he bought in Masindi instead of bringing it straight from the farm.

Masindi is a small town and is mostly a market place with fresh foods from the farm lands in the district. My stop in Masindi town on one of my trips to Murchison Falls with Don was a memorable one because we stopped to fuel and ate at a very small restaurant (can't remember the name), they had "muchomo" roast goat meat with "pilipili" hot red peppers which Don absolutely loved. After 4 years in Uganda I was afraid Don should never leave because of his passion for Ugandan food. Unfortunately being the diplomat that he was, he soon got reassigned to Abuja, Nigeria.

Masindi is really a gateway to Murchison Falls National Park. It should take four hours to get to Murchison Falls, however the roads are not that good in some areas especially once you get to the park.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain.

Masindi