Akaka Falls in LOVE

Honomu Travel Blog

9:00 am

So I decided to rent a car and drive around the island before my start at the yoga retreat center. Because I started my day so early, I was able to check out many things around the island before meeting up with my new friends, Kim and Stef, in Kailua-Kona. I took the road North through the Hamakua Coast and stopped many times on the way. My most memorable experience on this drive was my stop at Akaka Falls.

Honestly, it takes a lot for me to actually get up and go see things in nature while alone, so driving to these falls was a big leap for me. The road to Akaka Falls is nicely paved and slightly winds around beautiful green rolling hills with a vast ocean view in the distance. After a small hike down a very unchallenging path, the immense Akaka Falls comes into view.
Akaka Falls base - the speed of the water falling is so powerful!
As I was walking there, my anticipation for these amazing falls seemingly dwindled and I was beginning to feel as if this excursion would have only a small, pointless reward. Then, as I turned a slight corner the overwhelming beauty of the falls grabbed my soul and shook it around. My heart began to beat rapidly and I felt as if I were almost going to faint. Before me was a playful display of God’s art: a waterfall cascading down a 422 ft. cliff, pouring into a small pool of deep turquoise water. I was awestruck and couldn’t move for the first few minutes. My eyes just continued to gawk like a hungary dog near unattainable food. Needless to say, it was beautiful.

There is also a small Animal Protection Education Center, named “Love the Animals,” as you head back to Hwy 19, which I met the owners of and is an amazing organization for promoting Veganism.

Akaka Falls
Akaka Falls base - the speed of th…
Akaka Falls base - the speed of t…
Hwy 19 view of the ocean