Palaces Galore

Potsdam Travel Blog

Today we checked out of our amazing Berlin Hotel, got the rental car, and headed southwest to Potsdam, just a little bit outside Berlin. One we were there we got lunch at the café, and waited forever! It took like an hour and a half to get our really easy food, it wasn’t even busy. Ahh well, the atmosphere was good. Anyway we went to Sans, Souci Park and saw the Schloss Sanssouci which belonged to Frederick II (or Frederick the Great) as well as his Neues Palais, the Chinesisches Haus, the Historische Muhle, the Orangerie, the Sizilianischer Garten and the Neue Kammern. It was a bit chilly, but it was still a really nice visit. I bet it would have been even cooler to see in the summer when all of the leaves and plants were in bloom, and the additional apartments were open.

However, we did go inside the Sans, Souci palace and the Neues Palais. We didn’t get to see all of Sans, Souci, because the additional apartments are only open in the summer months, but I really liked the designs of the visitors’ apartments, they were elegant yet simplistic, and opened to the gardens with separate doors for the servants quarters and the closets which blended in perfectly to the walls. I didn’t really like the New Palace so much, mostly because it was all so much later (time period wise) and also because we had a German guide and an English sheet to read from, and it took REALLY long. The coolest room by far was the Grotto Room which had mosaic all over the place made of seashells and rocks and minerals and other things as though you were in an undersea grotto! We spent almost the whole day there, and then headed off down the road on what we thought was the road to Dresden.
This was not the case. As you can tell, there is a lot of getting lost on my trips…hehehe. Anyway, we took the 10, which we were supposed to, but we took it in the wrong direction and didn’t realize it until after we had already circled Berlin on the entire north side. Let’s just say that our 2.5 hour drive to Dresden turned into a 5 hour trip, including stopping for dinner and trying to find the hotel. Tomorrow is Dresden and some sort of Silversomething Strasse…I dunno, but it’s supposed to be cool. Ciao for now!

Potsdam