Medievalness Returns

Rothenburg ob der Tauber Travel Blog

We had a crazy time trying to navigate our way out of Mainz (with the whole jumble of roads mess on the map, it was a bit difficult) but we somehow got out of it, and headed south and east toward Rothenburg, and our final destination Fussen. I wish I could have spent days in Rothenburg, and it's definitely on my list of places to go back to again (and I noticed they have a nice youth hostel there).  But we were a bit pressed for time since we still had to drive down to Fussen before 9:00 pm to check in, and it was still a ways to go. First things first, we had to find a bathroom…and the first two places we walked in didn't have one, so we went to this bakery which FINALLY had one, and we bought some nice treats on the way out :) The guy was really nice too, so if you're ever in Rothenburg, the main road you drive in on, there is a bakery at the end of the block on the right which also has a hotel above…go in there, it's great.

Then we decided to do a little jaunt on the medieval walls. First of all, my mom is afraid of heights and went up from the first set of stairs until the next set of stairs and went down….but at least she tried! We're very proud. I continued walking on the wall for a bit longer and my mom and Lori walked on the ground along side, and we took some photos on the way. After this, we took a little walk through the town and tried to find the church in the center of town, took a few photos (but there was a lot of scaffolding) and then headed to find the car. We stopped at a souvenir shop on the way back, which had some really great stuff in it too…people say you can get lost in Rothenburg just shopping! (mostly because while they do sell touristy's all really good quality). Anyway, it was a mad rush to get out, because we were REALLY pressed for time. Basically, Lori booked it down the autobahn as we made it out of town and south to Fussen.

Rothenburg ob der Tauber