Medieval Blitz

Eisenach Travel Blog

After we went to Buchenwald, we headed off to the town of Eisenach. Here we found my favorite restaurant so far, called Das total verrückt Kartoffelhaus. It was SO cool inside, fake trees, antiques everywhere, and the food was delicious! Anyway, the reason we went to the town was to see the old bits of town and Wartburg Castle. Seriously, the next time I come to Germany, I’m totally coming back to this place, and staying in the attached hotel. Anyway, this castle was amazing, and though it had a lot of reconstruction and revamping, it was very true to its medieval form. Additionally, this is where Martin Luther spent time translating the bible from Greek to German and writing 14 theological works.

This is also the place where St. Elizabeth von Thüringen lived when she was married to Ludwig IV and performed many good services for the poor people in the town. I was amazed at the preservation of the original construction of the castle, which dates back to the year 1067. There was even an internal medieval staircase, which is very rare to find, considering mostly additional floors were accessed by external, temporary wooden staircases on the outside of the building. The medieval Knights hall and the Hall of Minstrels in particular were represented quite well. Although much of the plaster on the walls and frescos are much more modern, the wood and structure itself still date back to the original construction of the castle. It was also exciting to see the hall of minstrels, where Von Eschenbach wrote and competed with other writers of the time. The chapel also had some gems, an original medieval crucifix and the remains of a wall painting of 6 of the apostles on the left wall above the pulpit. Luther’s study was also fun to see, though it was surely quite cold! Sadly, I wasn’t able to tour all of the grounds or the original tower construction because it was past 5:00 and it had started snowing. Ah well, next time perhaps! It was my second favorite part of the trip, right after the Tower of London. Tomorrow we go for Thüringer forest, Dreichen, and Paulinzelle…then we end up in Cologne.

Eisenach Sights & Attractions review
Amazing Castle on a Mountain
To me, student discounts at this place are A-MA-ZING (just make sure you've got your card). Okay, just so you know, if you want to go to this place, y… read entire review
photo by: missandrea81