Guttenburg's Press

Mainz Travel Blog

Today we left Cologne and headed off towards Fussen, but before we left, it was time for me to get some new tennis shoes (since the stores were finally open) and a suitcase, but I opted for a backpackers pack, since I was going to have to get one eventually anyway. After that lovely excursion, we hit the road, found the autobahn and headed off to a town south of Frankfurt called Mainz. We were going here because it is where Guttenburg had the first printing press, and there is a Guttenburg museum with press examples, one of the original bibles, and many other interesting artifacts. The only problem in this whole process, was the fact that we had a giant map of Germany, Austria, Benelux and Switzerland, and therefore the big mess of roads around Mainz was difficult to decipher, plus we still had to figure out where the museum was in the city (and it's a big city). This was actually a waste of time which cost us in the end, since we barely got to spend any time at all once we finally got down the road to Rothenburg. The museum was nice, but I don't think I'll go a second time, because there wasn't really anything that exciting in it, and that's all there really is to the city. Rick Steves was, as always, right when he said not to waste your time there (but waste our time there we did…and sadly, at the expense of the much cooler city Rothenburg). However, we did get some cool photos of the church and a park in Mainz as we left. I suppose that counts for something.

Mainz