There's gold in them there hills!!

Fairbanks Travel Blog

July 29, 2008

• We went to the El Dorado Gold Mine- that was lots of fun. The mine was owned by the same family who did the Discovery Riverboat. We first went on a train that led us into a permafrost tunnel. There we were taught about the bedrock and how miners looked for other mineral veins in order to know where to look when it came to finding gold. We then continued on out of the tunnel where we saw a huge pile of dirt, a boiler, and some other mining equipment. Since the tunnel was permafrost and the miners didn’t want the tunnel to cave in, they closed in up in the summer. This meant that all winter they would have to all dirt out of the tunnel and put it in a pile. Then, when summer came, they would close the tunnel and run water through there pile of dirt and wash it through the slosh box. We then continued on where we learned how modern miners had big equipment to move their dirt and how the water was set up so it would come poring at high speed down the slosh box. We then set off to do our own gold panning. We had a lot of help from the nice guys there and buy the time we were done, Lia had $15 worth of gold, mom $24, and I had $33. I don’t know about Charles and dad, but I know they had less than me. I was really happy and had some of the gold made into a necklace (not all of it would fit) and headed back on the train. That was a lot of fun.
  • After that we went back to the campground, relaxed, and did laundry. Dad had to leave so we said good-bye and took him to the airport. We were all sad to see him go but we knew someone had to pay for the tripJ.

P.S. If there is a day I missed, be sure to check my mom’s blog.

Fairbanks