Carlesbad Caverns!!

New Mexico Travel Blog

Walking slowly through the dark cave, I saw stalactites and stalagmites through the little light that was given off by the lights that were sprinkled through out the cave. I watched quietly while I walked the rest of the 1.5 mile hike through Carlsbad Caverns. It was amazing that the cave was so big and how the stalactites managed to just hang there. The only bad part was the whole place smelled like bat poo! We entered one part of the cave where it said that about 10 ft. away was the bat cave and inside the bad cave was 40 ft. of bat poo! GROSS!! Other than that the cave was amazing. It was also cool and damp, so the hike was nothing. The lady who worked there didn't think so. When she heard we had walked all the way from the natural entrance we must be really tired. She has clearly not taken a hike to The Window in Big Bend National Park in 118 degree weather.

After the wonderful cave experience, we went to a "water park" to celebrate our 1st day in New Mexico (and because my mom was being really nice). I put quotations around water park because they called it a water park but all that was there were 2 slides(one open and one a tunnel). While I was in tunnel going down backwards I managed to get my back caught on the dry part of the slide. I heard a large screeching sound, and when I got out of the slide, Lia realized I had scraped large patches of my skin off. One part is so big my mom had to get the largest band-aids and stick two of them together. I had to sit out for the rest of the time.

That night we went and saw the bats leave the cave. It wasn't as dramatic as I had expected, but it was still cool. When the bats came out of the cave, they formed a whirlpool that looked like a tornado. They would gradually go up and leave the tornado to go get some water. I thought that was pretty cool.

I want to still apologize to those who I haven't emailed. The emails STILL will not go through. It may be a few months at this point till you get your emails.

N_loves_T says:
Great post Jazy! Love hearing about your fun. Very descriptive - especially the part about the bat poo!

Stay good!

Posted on: Jun 08, 2008
everywritwhole says:
Hi, I liked reading your 100 to do list, how is the schoolwork going, how are your books holding together after being cut apart? I would be interested in knowing about the clothes, shoes, books, etc you packed and about "your" area in the LD. thanks.
Posted on: Jun 08, 2008