Wanaka and the Puzzle of the Purple Cow

Wanaka Travel Blog

Happy hours playing at puzzle world

After we came off the glacier we jumped straight into the car and headed for Wanaka, it was a long drive in the rain so didn't stop for much, just a few spectacular rapids and view points along the coast (knight's point, photos to follow, honest.)

Wanaka is a tinysky resort on the edge of the lake, we were staying in the wonderful Purple Cow Hostel. After such a long day on the glacier, we had a leisurely morning breakfast and then headed off to the Puzzle World.

Best $10 i've spent since I got here, Puzzle world is BRILLIANT. There are only five main parts to the place, The Hologram Hall - lots of holograms unsuprisingly, the hall of following faces - a room of 3D faces which follow you around, The ames illusion - which was absolutely fantastic, a room in which the perspective is such that at one end you appear tiny and at the other end you appear a giant. The tilted house - a room where everything is at an angle of 15o, which makes it appear as if water is running up hill and finally a maze.

In the cafe there were hundreds of wooden puzzles to play with, I could have spent the rest of my three weeks in there. If you ever come to New Zealand, head straight for Wanaka and Puzzle World. Superb.

After being dragged out of Puzzle World, we headed for Queenstown. Queenstown is a dreadful place, mountains, lakes, ice cold beer, glorious sunshine. Really hard work.

franjohnson says:
I have fond memories of a morning spent in Wanaka. I presume you've taken the obligatory 'holding the leaning clock' photo :-)
Posted on: Apr 01, 2008