Thwarted in Rotorua

Rotorua Travel Blog

one of the few things which i'd planned to do before leaving the UK was kayak the Kaituna river near Rotorua. So this was one of the main reasons I was staying in Rotorua for two whole days.

Having spent an entire winter in the UK not paddling because a lack of water, I felt particularly hard done by when after travelling 12 thousand miles - I still couldn't paddle due to a lack of water. So I found myself with no plans and no one to be annoyed at in Rotorua.

I decided to head out to Hell's Gate for a mud bath and spa to fill my day. Having been in Rotorua for two nights already, I was begining to get a bit sick of the smell of sulphar, plus once you've seen one bubbling pool of mud you've kind of seen them all. so after a very brief walk around the geothermal park I was very pleased to find a tent offering free wood carvings. fantastic fun, I carved a kiwi!

Following that I headed for the mud bath. I'd been looking forward to this for sometime, but it is a bit lonely on your own, plus it all stunk of sulphar and after 20 minutes I started to feel a bit faint and go a headache. I ended up spending the rest of the afternoon in bed... all due to the lack of rain. rubbish.

photo by: Vanessa_Mun_Yee