Kiwi, kea and men in loin clothes

Rotorua Travel Blog

On the recommendation of a number of people, I booked on to a Mouri cultural event for the evening - a Hangy. The one which got most recommended was one called Maitai and they picked us up in a bus and took us out to their village.

It starts with our fantastic guide finding out how many countries our 'tribe of many nations' came from, I was very suprised and impressed to find out that he spoke some welsh. Once the introduction was done our 'tribe of 15 nations' went to view the hany (the meat and vegetables being cooked in the ground) and then headed off into the bush to see the mouri warriers running through the forest and into a small reproduction war canoe (a waka) and chant and paddle up and down a small steam. We then followed them into their reporduction village for a stage show of fighting, dancing and singing. I'm not someone who is going to turn down 8 men in loin clothes as pre-dinner entertainment.

When dinner began I almost got trampled by some australian women (the look in their eyes was terrifiying as they got near to the buffet). The food wasn't bad, although it all smelt a bit of earth... I wouldn't chose to eat like that to be honest.

I'd chosen to spend an additional $10 and go for the Rainbow Springs Walk after the Hangy. A superb walk through the fish, bird and animal sancutuary. First and foremost they rear and release kiwi into the wild, in the avery they had four. nothing could have prepared me for how utterly bizarre but ultimately wonderful these birds are.

I also managed to see a number of Kea which i'd not seen at Arthur's Pass and the north island parrot and the fish pools filled with Rainbow Trout. A superb night all round.

photo by: Vanessa_Mun_Yee