Kayaking in Doubtful sound

Doubtful Sound Travel Blog

Doubtful Sound - Deep cove
Well Neil left to go back to work and I was left to get myself over to Te Anau for two days of sea kayaking on Doubtful Sound. I stayed for a night in a little lakefront backbackers in the tiny Te Anau and got all my gear ready for the two day trip.

The next morning was a 6am start, taking a bus to Manapouri, a boat over the lake (to the amazing Manapouri Power station which produces 15% of New Zealands electricity from hydro power) and then in another bus over the mountains to deep cove on Doubtful Sound.

There were eight of us on the trip plus our guide Fi. In my double sea kayak I had 14 stone of Australian freight, who didn't like doing exercise but it was the only way to see these things. mmhhh. The weather alternated between blue skies and torrential rain, proper bouncing rain which was absolutely amazing. Our trip took us down Hall Arm and five hours later we reached our camp site in the temperate rain forest. The camp site was a compost toilet and a communal shelter, we put up our tents had dinner and had a very early night.

The next day was the most beautiful day i've ever expereienced, blue skies and the sound was like glass. just breathtaking. Getting into a pile of wet neoprene wasn't even going to spoil it.

Apart from the occasional powered boat, we practically had the sound to our selves, I couldn't think of a better way to really appreciate the scale and beauty of this place. Best way to see the sounds, just stunning.
The lovely Katie