Death corner and the cushion-like vegetable sheep

Arthur's Pass Travel Blog

Lake Mahinapina

We spent Thursday traversing the southern alps, from Christchurch over Arthur's Pass ending in Franz Joseph Glacier.

The first section saw us looking out eagerly for the cushion-like vegetable sheep which were mentioned in the Rough Guide. Alas, it didn't actually tell you what they were or what they looked like (other than like cushions obviously, but I don't feel that it was enough to make an accurate identification). We eventually decided it was probably an error with the guide (not the first), but no they in fact exist...

Arthur's Pass and Death Corner was spectacular, I won't bother trying to describe the landscape, by ability wouldn't do it justice. I was however very happy with the amazing rivers of scree that cut through the rainforest, absolutely spectaulcar. As were the Rock shelters that diverted the scree rivers and water falls over the road at points.

We stopped for lunch out of the chilly bin at a lake Mahinapina, it was utterly beautiful - surrounded by rain forest and absolutely tranquil. I'll get some photos up when I get chance... perfect picnic spot.

Arthur's Pass