AsiaChinaLhasa

Lhasa

Lhasa Travel Blog

Inside the Sera Monastery

Lhasa is amazing.  I know that at any moment, the government can simply shut down tourism here and likely will (note: indeed the govt closed off Tibet to tourists shortly after my visit and haven't reopened it since).  The weather isn't great, but being at that elevation (at 11k feet, it's one of the highest cities in the world), I hardly expected worse.  I spend a lot of time walking around the main square, which according to Bhuddist convention must be navigated in a clockwise direction.  I buy a tacky framed and illuminated buddhist light fixture from a local Chinese vendor and later visit the amazing Jokang Temple, Potala Palace, Sera Monastery and Drepung Monastery.  I'm a little dismayed to find that the best views of the famed Potala Palace are marred with a larger-than-life (over a hundred foot tall?) communist Chinese flag in the foreground.

I can photoshop it out of my pictures, but cutting the commies out of Tibetan life is another story....

I had dinner consisting of local fare in a local restaurant and it was so evocative of the food I had in Mongolia in 1992.  Mutton, yak butter, noodles, etc.  Good, but very plain.

While walking around the rain soaked streets, I realize that I have finally worn my hiking boots down to the soles and my feet are now getting soaked.  I first bought these shoes for my long tour in the Sudan in 2001-2002.  This will be the last trip I take in these shoes before discarding them.

Banging the drum, Sera