Places to eat, drink, and hang out in town (1)

Tuscaloosa Travel Blog

Day 3

I decided to make a list of places to eat or drink in my town that I have visited and had great experience with. The list actually helps me choose which place to go to whenever I feel like going out to eat or drink. It happens most of the time when a group of friends and I planned to eat out or go for a drink, we would avoid making decision about where to go and say to each other: “you decide”, “no, you decide”, or “I chose a place last time”… over and over again. Therefore the list can preview the local restaurants or bars that finally would help us make a decision.

The list is divided into three parts: (1) Breakfast/Brunch & Lunch, (2) Dinner & Fine Dining, and (3) Coffee Shops and Bars. Almost all the places on the list are local business premises. Only about 4 places are chain. ’Dinner’ section featured the restaurants based on the type of food.
City Cafe sign
For example, Italian, Mediterranean, and so on. I try to provide a description of the location for the places to give an idea how far or close by the places relative to the town of Tuscaloosa. Some of the places have also been separately featured in my travels reviews.

I love to go to local-owned places because I think the quality of food is better, the service is much nicer, and hence the customer is happier because she gets her money worth. I also hope that by creating the list, I will not only remember which places that make me come back, but also let anybody who will pass by or visit Tuscaloosa know where to go to the great places to eat or hang out.

Breakfast, Brunch, and Lunch

Breakfast
- The Waysider on Greensboro Ave.
Brunch at Panera Bread
and 15th St. Their signature hot cakes and coffee breakfast is heaven. Other top choices: the classic eggs and sausages and hashbrown and grits. It is a small, locally-owned breakfast place whose service is very friendly and price is very reasonable.

- IHOP on Skyland Blvd and Greensboro Ave. across from Cobb Movie theater �" pretty self expalanatory ☺ , but I like the crepes.

Brunch and Lunch
- City Café on Main Ave. and 5th St. in Northport off the Greensboro bridge (US 69). Southern food specialty from beef stew, cube steak, corn bread, fried green tomatoes, fried chicken, steamed cabbage, and many other delicious dishes. Top with chocolate cake or keylime pie for desserts and sweet tea. It is a local favorite, long lines during lunch time, closed on weekends and school holidays.

- Newk’s on University Blvd and 2nd Ave. Great selection on sandwiches and pizza.
- Schlotzsky on 15th St. E and 4th Ave. E. The Santa Fe Turkey sandwich is my favorite.
- Panera Bread on McFarland Blvd in Midtown Plaza Shopping Center just next to Barnes & Noble. Love the Chipotle Chicken sandwich and the variety of cookies and muffins.

City Cafe Diner