Labor Day Road Trip

Page Travel Blog

So Labor Day was a very good weekend to go camping.  I talked to my buddy Rob and he had gotten 45 people together to go camping up in Page, AZ.  We rented three 15 passenger vans with two U-haul trailers.  The trip lasted for two days.  So the first day we drove to the Rainbow Bridge near Strawberry and Payson, AZ.  This was nice because we hiked underneath this 100 foot cieling of rock and around the side of the facade of the formation.  Then it started to rain so we got back into the vans and drove to Flagstaff.  It was about sundown and we stopped at a Safeway to buy food.  We then went to the Glen Canyon Dam.  We found a great spot to camp on Lake Powell on the Utah side of the lake. It was really windy and we corralled the vans for wind protection.  Then we set up the tents and a fire was going so people started to drink.  Already it was 1am and the ranger came around to tell us it was our warning.  Then a few minutes later a sherriff showed up.  This guy was the night shift guy sent to the party side of the lake and he was cool with his canine compadre.

The next morning we went to the Antellope canyon and we took lots of pictures.  This is the canyon that Britney Spears made a video in and many calendars and photos are made in this canyon.  It is surprisingly narrow despite what the photos people have seen of it make the canyon out to look wide open.  Then we went to the Grand Canyon south rim.  Before hand we stopped into a Navajo trading post and bought some things.  I bought a book on the Navajo Code talkers during WWII.  Then the drive went to the Grand Canyon's south rim which lasted until 5pm or so.  We even got separated behind the other 2 vans but then we made it to the GC entrance.  We spent about 500 dollars to get into the canyon and we took lots of pictures.  Boy oh boy, it is a Grand Canyon.  After that we drove back to Flagstaff.  This journey was a pretty long one and for the last leg of the journey I had a friend drive for me.

Page