Not so alone in China!

Yangshuo Travel Blog

I travelled from Vietnam into China on the 15th of May. I booked a bus with the Hanoi Backpackers' Hostel to Nanning with the plan of staying there overnight then heading on to Guilin the next day and eventually getting to Yangshuo after that. However when I arrived at the 'bus station' (hotel where the bus was leaving from) there were two other girls who had booked the same bus but straight to guilin! I paid the extra and changed my ticket (which was WAY harder than it sounds!) to what I hoped was Guilin (my ticket now said Qe Lam which it turns out is the vietnamese approximation of Guilin). Anyway I made it in one piece and spent 15 hours on two buses!

We stayed overnight in Guilin and took a small boat down the Li River to yangshuo the next day.

The first day in Yangshuo we went to the 'water cave' which was quite interesting. The cave was huge and a guide took us through and pointed out a million different shapes along the way - eg a woman washing her hair, lady looking in the mirror, an elephant, dragon etc! The next day I moved guesthouses and planned to head out to moon hill which was supposed to have great views from the top. BUT it rained ALL day and there wasn't much point riding out there and climbing up in the rain! Luckily the next day was fine and I went up Moon Hill with the other three people in my dorm! It was a good day, we rode to moon hill, climbed up the main path and then up a muddy trail to the very top where the views were superb! Then we went off on an adventure on the way back - down a side road (which the woman in the guesthouse had recommended) and stopped every two seconds to take another photo! All around Yangshuo are limestone karsts which rise out of the ground and just go straight up! It's similar to halong bay but the karsts are way bigger and I think it's more dramatic because they rise from the flat ground rather than the ocean. It really is just amazing!

Yangshuo