Contiki Tour Day 14 - Barcelona, Spain

Barcelona Travel Blog

me in front of the Sagrada Familia

Today Magoo was taking us on a driving tour of the city.  Only about half the group went, the other half slept in and had a free day in the city.  Our first stop was at the Sagrada Familia.  JB told us the architecture was strange and we would either love it or hate it.  We I loved it!  Gaudi made a very impressive church and it was enormous!! We took some photos and hopped back on the bus after completing a full circle of the church.

Our next stop was the Barcelona Olympic village.  This was also impressive as it sat above the rest of the city and the views were incredible!! The City was enormous and you could see the Sagrada Familia stand above it all! JB was nice enough to take photos for all of us before we headed back down the hill.

views of Barcelona from the Olympic Village

Magoo then drove us to Las Ramblas where JB was going to take us on a short walking tour of the old roman part of town.  As we walked it felt like we were stepping from the present back into the past.  We walked into a square where there were indentations in the surrounding walls.  JB explained to us that they were in fact bullet holes, where people used to line up and get shot as punishment.  That was kind of eerie after hearing that.

We were then free to do as we please so we decided to have a look around and do some shopping.  We couldn't really find anything good in Las Ramblas so we walked to a nearby shopping centre, but there wasn't much there either.  Bree was feeling unwell and wasn't looking too good, so we went back to the hotel.

the group
  Bree went upstairs and I went on the internet, but it was really expensive, 1 euro per 10 minutes!!! I used all my change and then went back up to our room and Bree was already asleep.  I wrote in my travel journal for a while, then watched the Simpsons in Spanish, that was interesting.

I woke up Bree at 5pm, she had been asleep for 4 hours.  We got ready for dinner and decided that we weren't going to go out after dinner because Bree still wasn't feeling well.  Our dinner optional tonight included a meal, Sangria and flamenco dancing!!! I think I was the only person who didn't really like Sangria, I could tast the red wine too much.  The flamenco dancing was really impressive, I don't know how they move their feet so quickly.

the magic fountains

After dinner JB took us to the "magic fountains".  The magic fountains consist of one large fountain that is lit up at night and is "choreographed" to music and below that is a series of small fountains along the road that are only turned on at night.  JB told us that the fountains rivalled the Eiffel Tower in the romance stakes.  I would have to agree with him.  The fountains moving to the music and lit up with all different colours is really nice, and so many people go to see it.

After the fountains, Bree and I decided to go out afterall and we were all dropped to Port Olympica.  JB went searching for a club that would give us some good deals on drinks.  We found a small club on the harbour that was about the size of a large bedroom with a bar along one wall.  It was so much like a bedroom that it had large lounges and curtains you could pull around in case you wanted "privacy", if you know what I mean.  JB struck a deal where we could get two drinks for 9 euro, we thought that was pretty good.  Before long the club was packed and we were dancing all night.  What we thought was going to be a early night turned into a late one, and we didn't get back to the hotel until 2am.  We didn't mind having late nights because we knew we could sleep on the bus the next day, and we didn't want to miss out on a thing!!

me in front of the Sagrada Familia
views of Barcelona from the Olympi…
views of Barcelona from the Olymp…
magic fountains