Contiki Day 9 - Venice to Florence, Italy

Florence Travel Blog

Colosseum in Verona

We were driving to Florence today, and on the way we stopped in Verona.  JB walked us through the small town, past the colosseum, through some nice shops until we reached a small, dark tunnel.  In the tunnel on the walls was what looked like graffiti and on the other end was Juliet's balcony from Romeo and Juliet!! It was quite a small balcony and not what I expected, but I suppose it is all fiction anyway.  There is also a statue of Juliet and apparently if you rub her left breast, you will have good luck and find love.  I decided against feeling up Juliet, but Bree had a go, as did most of the group.

The lovers tunnel
  There were a fair few people trying to get photos and in the end I didn't want to wait.

JB then explained to us that the tunnel did not hold graffiti, but held love notes and sayings along the walls.  He then proceeded to hand us all a piece of paper and we were to write a love wish and stick it on the wall.  Bree and I both did it, but my secret wish still hasn't come true but here's hoping :)

We all took our time to get back on the bus until we realised that we were running late and the bus might leave without us.  Luckily everyone else was in the same situation and we found the bus down the street with no problem.  However we all noticed just before we were about to leace that we were missing one person.  Pat was no where to be found and her mates were back on the bus.

Juliet's balcony
  JB went looking for her and he found her amongst the shops.  It worked out that she was looking in one of the shops and completely lost her way.  Luckily JB was nice enough to wait for her otherwise Pat would have been making her way to Florence on her own!

We reached Florence in the afternoon, and to our suprise, our hotel was quite close to the city centre.  We had a bit of time to spare before dinner so I did some washing and Bree and I ended up sitting in the hotel hallways talking to some of the girls.  Some people went to a near by pool, but I decided to give it a miss and have some down time.

JB walked us to the city centre for dinner which was located in a small lane way.  We ate outside and it was pretty basic, dinner was spaghetti (I have had better at home), stale bread and a piece of fruit for dessert.  You could tell it was one of our included dinners. As we were leaving we ran into a girl from another contiki tour who told us that her group had just come from Nice, France and some of their valuables were stolen from the hotel rooms.  We were staying in the same hotel room, so we were a bit scared to go there as it was our next stop.

JB then took us to the Red Garter karaoke bar, where you can get jugs of cocktails for 15 euro, it is pretty good quality as you can normally get 6 glasses out of one jug and it really did the trick! We ordered "sex on the beach", "orgasm" and "illusions", LOL, they were all very nice!  Some of the group got up and sang and it was a really good night.  However the most random thing happened while we were there.  I ran into a girl I knew who I went to school with back in Sydney.  She was also on a contiki tour and happened to be in Florence at the same time.  Who would have thought I would run into a school friend on the other side of the world!

The majority of the group followed JB back to the hotel at around midnight. Bree and I went straight to bed.  Tomorrow I was planning on my first sleep in in 3 weeks!

Juliets balcony