Contiki Day 7 - Munich to Venice, Italy

Venice Travel Blog

Innsbruck...view of the mountains from the street

We had our longest drive to date today, and the rest of the trip would consist of 10 hour drives or more.  We were heading to Venice today, and bothe Bree and I were really excited as it was the place we were looking forward to seeing the most. But first we made a little pit stop in Innsbruck Austria.  This small town was so beautiful as you could see the Austrian Alps in the forground of the buildings and most importantly, it had a Swarovksi crystal museum!! I was surprised because I thought we weren't stopping in Austria and I had bought my mum a crystal gold fish in Switzerland, but I was still excited to see what else was there.

We walked through the museum quite quickly and found our way to the gift shop (which ironically you have to walk through to exit the building!).

The hills are alive!
  Well I was in heaven, there was so much jewellery and I wanted it all, and alot of the pieces were quite inexpensive.  I bought 2 pairs of stud earings for myself and my sister, I also got a pear of red tear drop earings for my step mother and a crystal pendant.  I think that is it, but I wanted so much more but at this stage of the trip, I was really scrimping because I still had a over a months worth of travel to do!

Bree, Liz, Julia, Alicia and myself then decided to get something for lunch before hopping back on the bus, we had a little less than an hour to spare.  Well with five girls all together, of course we couldn't decide and ended up stopping at a small cafe with only 15 minutes to spare.  We ordered sandwiches and they seemed to take forver to come out and we had a fair walk ahead of us.  The waiter was very nice and rushed everything along, so we scoffed our lunch, bought some water and tipped the waiter and enormous amount without even realising it.  I think we all tipped him over 10 euro each and all we got were sandwiches!!! He was a very happy man in the end!

We hopped on the bus and JB had none other than the Sound of Music playing through the stereo, we all sang along as we headed into Italy.  We didnt make it into Venice until after 8pm, it really was a huge day of driving. Also the temperatures had really sky rocketed as we headed further south and at that time of night is was well over 35 degrees celcius. We put our bags in our room and went straight to dinner at the hotel where we had lasagne and salad. It was pretty good but still not as good as my sister's back home!!

Bree and I went back to our room straight after dinner because we were so tired.  We did some washing and went to bed early.

Innsbruck...view of the mountains …
Innsbruck...view of the mountains…
Venice