Contiki Day 6 - Lucerne to Munich, Germany

Munich Travel Blog

work shall set you free

Today was probably the longest drive we had, as we were heading back into Germany towards Munich.  I pretty much slept the whole way, and did this on most bus days.  I only woke when JB would do a quiz, or tell his famous stories about the region we were heading to. JB's story was particularly interesting today as he spoke about Hitler and World War 2, something I learned about in High School and enjoyed.  He ended his story by telling us that we would be making an unscheduled stop at Dachau concentration camp.  I was hoping when I booked the trip that we would be able to see an old concentration camp, but when it became reality I became quite nervous because I knew of the history of those places, and also the great significance of the area.

me and my pretzel

We got there late afternoon, and had to walk along the old train tracks where the "prisoners" would be transported to.  We reached the (in)famous gates of Dachau and which read "Arbeit Macht Frei", work shall set you free.  The rest of the visit was quite a blur, as it felt so surreal.  I couldn't believe I was in a place that had so much signifance to history and Holocaust survivors. It was also very emotional and I must say eerie, walking through the old living quarters and through the museum which housed alot of images and details of the camp.  We also watched a short documentary on Dachau.  When it finished there was complete silence in the room.

We all met back up at the gate to walk back to the bus together. It was a very moving and emotional experience that allows you to have appreciation of the life you have.

bree having a skull

It wasn't long before we arrived in Munich. Our hotel was out of town but again really nice. We only had 45 minutes to get ready before we headed to the Hofbrau House Beer Hall for dinner and drinks! Magoo drove us back into town and we walked to see the Marienplatz, which was under construction at the time so nothing much to see there.  The beer hall was only around the corner.  JB told us that it gets really busy and we should try and find any seat that we can.  Bree, Liz, Julia, Myself and the New Zealand girls (Francene, Angela, Mel and Val) managed to find a table on the other side of the beer hall to everyone else. We ordered our first steins of beer.  I ordered a full strength litre, while most of the others ordered a shandy (half beer half lemonade).

finished!
  I was wondering why everyone was going through their beers so quickly and I was struggling, it because theis tasted like soft drink!! Cheaters!!! We ordered our meals, I ordered meat loaf, so did Julia, and Bree ordered mince and noodles.  We mocked Bree for buying something that you caould make at home, but when we received our meals we were all wishing we had ordered the mince and noodles too!!!

My meatloaf at first looked like it was a meat pie.  On closer inspection, it was just a big glob of meat thown on my plate.  I took a bit and it tasted exactly the same as a hotdog, but 20 times more meat.  I could not eat it all, so I thought I would try the potato salad that was also on my plate.  It looked like yellow moosh.  It was a bit salty but ok, not what I would call potato salad, but hey, I had to try it!! Meanwhile Bree was sitting there enjoying her mince and noodles which really looked nice!! I was jealous!!!

After dinner we ate a pretzel, which was the size of my head, and we headed around to find the rest of the group.

Bree, Angela and Francene
   Most of the group was located at two booths right next to each other at the entrance to the beer hall.  A few people squeezed into the booths, but I missed a seat so I stood by.  Not long after that I had a German lady carrying 4 steins yelling at me in german, I am presuming she was telling me to GET OUT OF THE WAY!!! We stayed there for a bit longer, shared a couple more steins and then some of us decided to find a club to go to.

We found our way back to Marienplatz but couldnt decide what to do.  We began walking, but I didn't know where we were so I started panicking and wanting to go home (Note:  I can be a major stress head at times!!). One guy on our tour started to talk to this man walking in the same direction and he ended up taking us to the door of this nightclub, and then wanted to pay for our entry!!! We wouldn't let him do that, but we thanked him for showing us and then headed into the nightclub for a dance!! It was really good down there and the music was alright too!!!

Bree Liz, Julia and myself left after a a couple of hours and headed back to the hotel.

My stein
I think we got there around 2am and went straight to bed.

bree85 says:
and remember julia spiling the whole shaker of salt on her meatloaf! hehehe
Posted on: Jun 26, 2008