Contiki Day 4 - St Goar to Lucerne, Switzerland

Lucerne Travel Blog

Lake Lucerne

Really struggled to get up this morning, I think we had to be on the bus by 7.30am, and it was tough! Today we were heading into Switzerland. The ride again was not extremely long, probably something like 5 hours.  Today the weather was a bit cloudy and cold.  Our first stop was at Mount Pilatus, and we were going to the top in two cable cars, one small one and then a bigger one to the top.  Iit was kinda scary, especially when you are afraid of heights like me!!! The big cable car is the scariest because there are some places where it looks like you are just going to drop of the face of the cliff, or I suppose that was just my imagination running wild :). All in all I think it was 2100metres up.

The cable cars

We got to the top and it was absolutely freezing at that altitude and for some reason the entire tour had warn thongs/flip flops and shorts and t shirts that day, myslelf included, despite the warnings from JB. We all decided to walk up to the peak of the mountain.  I really struggled because I have a bad knee and at that altitude there was absolutely no air up there! Unfortunately the sky was filled with clouds and we couldn't see alot, but when the clouds broke even for a second, all of us would scrounge around for our cameras and take a quick shot.  It was really beautiful up there, but would have been a whole lot better on a clearer day.

We stayed up there for an hour but had to come down before getting hypothermia! Most of us were in the toilets for a while just trying to warm up under the hand dryers!!!  Go back down the mountain wasn't as scary as going up it and the views were excellent as well!

We then headed to out hotel just outside of Lucerne.

the view on the way up
  This was the first instance of a pretty dodgy hotel. It was livable for a couple of nights, but not somewhere I would stay again! Of course like many hotels in Europe, there were no lifts in the hotel and of course, Bree and were on the top floor!!! We lugged our luggage up and sat on our beds. Our room was basically in the roof of the hotel and we had a slanted ceiling, so everytime we layed on our bed, we had to make sure we didn't hit our heads!! I did a few times. We finally discovered to sleep up the other end but then we couldnt watch the TV.  As you can probably see the layout of the room was excellent (not)! I should probably also mention that when I was cleaning my teeth over the sink my bum could touch the opposite wall, really great when you dont feel like putting all your weight on your feet, just lean back and have a rest!!

Dinner was at the hotel tonght, and it was pretty basic.  So basic, that I don't even remember what we had! We went to bed early that night because I think Bree and I were still seedy from the night before!

view from the top