Contiki Day 3 - Our last full day in New York :(

New York Travel Blog

the iron building from spiderman

We were up really early this morning and caught a double decker bus that drove us to the Early Show taping, as we were going to be on TV!!! This was really fun as we had to fight to get on camera, but Bree and I popped our faces in shot a fair few times and we were satisfied!  Bree's mum taped it back at home as the Early Show airs at 3am in Australia so it was good to have proof!!  Bree and I then decided to have a look in the huge Apple store next door because there was free internet and we could have a play around with the imac's as well as contact home, so that was good!

Afterward, we went back to the hotel as we had a bit of free time before heading back out again, so Bree and I went to starbucks and had some breakfast.  We then met up with the tour and caight the subway to times square because today we were doing a movie/television bus tour.

the friends apartment block
   This wasn't the best tour and definitely wasn't as good as Sex and the City.  The problem was the host showed us video clips of movies and tv series after we would drive past the actual location and that made it hard to get a good visual.  We saw the soup nazi kitchen from Seinfeld, the Friend's apartment block, The Ghostbuster headquarters and fire station in Hitch, the street scrface was filmed and the MacDonald's in Big Daddy.  There were a few more that I can't remember.  Alot of the movies were targetted at an older audience and alot of them Bree and I hadn't even heard of, so in the end, this tour was a little disappointing and there may have been better things to do in our spare time.

After the tour we were dropped back to broadway/times square.

the ghostbusters head quarters
  Bree and I went to have lunch at MacDonald's before walking to the hudson river where we were to take a jet boat ride.  We thought it was only short walk but it turned out to be a fair way and we barely made it on time.  The rest of the tour was already waiting to hop on the jetboat.  We hopped in line and then Matt found out that there was some mechanical problem with the boat and the ride was cancelled.  It was a little disappointing because Matt had told us how great the ride was, but I suppose we will just have to come back and do it another time!!

Bree and I decided to go to the Manhattan mini-mall near Macy's to have a look at Sarah Jessica Parker's clothing line in the Steve and Barry's store, as nothing is over $20!!!! We spent alot of time there but didn't end up buying alot but I still was able to buy a top and a few accessories and Bree bought pants and a top, all for a very cheap price.

John Lennon's memorial in Strawberry Fields
  We then walked to an I heart NY shop and bought some T-shirts as we wanted to give them as presents for people back home.

It was getting late and we had to get back to the hotel, so we caught the subway back to the hotel Beacon, had a shower and got ready as tonight we were finally going to the Empire State Building! First we went and had some dinner at a Pizza Place close to our hotel, and it was SO good!! The best pizza I have tasted.  It was weird to try pizza with sausages on it but it was really nice!  We then walked through Central Park to Strawberry Fields which is a small memorial for John Lennon.  There is a peace sign made of flowers on the ground which is really beautiful.  Not far from Strawberry Fields is his old apartment block where he was shot, we also visited there.

views from empire state building
  Apparently Yoko Ono still lives there.

From there were caught the subway to the Empire State Building.  There were no lines and we were able to reach the top fairly quickly.  The views were amazing, especially being and night with the city all lit up.  It was very windy though and I didn't realise at the time, but most of my photos were blurry because of that.  I got a few good ones though.  I would like to do it again in daylight, so that is another trip to New York I will have to plan!!

After we reached the bottom of the building, there were a few guys outside trying to sell limosine rides, so we all pitched in $5 and took a ride to Avenue B, which used to be the worst street in Greenwich Village if not Manhattan, and was now a hot spot for various clubs and bars.

We went inside a bar recommended by Matt but only stayed for one drink because we had to hop on a shuttle to the airport at 6am.  We got back to the hotel at 1am and slept for our last night in new york :(

the ghostbusters head quarters
John Lennons memorial in Strawber…
John Lennon's memorial in Strawbe…
New York