Contiki Day 2 - A tornado in New York????!!!!

New York Travel Blog

the empire state building

We were up early and met everyone in the hotel foyer.  We now longer had the contiki bus for our tour as we would be catching the subway and walking everywhere.  Matt took us to the subway and we were to head to the Empire State Building.  However there were major delays with the trains, as while we were sleeping the night before, there was a mini tornado and storm in Brooklyn and the subway had flooded, causing major delays and packed trains!! We waited half an hour for a train that would fit our entire group and it just wasn't happening.  In the end we had to try and squeeze in as many people as we could with each passing train.  Of course, Bree and I were the last of our group at the station.

We were with two other guys from our tour and managed to hop on a train with them.  But by the time we had met the rest of the group at the Empire State Building, is was coming on lunch time and Matt said it would be too busy to go up, so we postponed our empire state builing visit.

In stead, Matt took us on a walking tour of 5th Avenue.  This was interesting, and I saw alot of familiar land marks like the chrysler building, the library from ghostbuster and more!! We stopped at another deli for lunch that was just off 5 Avenue.  It was really busy in there too, but we managed to quickly eat and then began walking again, this time through Rckefeller Centre.  Matt showed us where the Christmas tree normally goes, as well as the ice skating rink.

It was summer so it was converted into a cafe/restaurant.

We then walked through Central Park and decided to have a rest there, because it was such a hot day and we had been walking around alot! It is really nice in Central Park, it is like you are not even in the middle of the city, it is really quiet and you can't hear the hussle and bussle of the streets.  We then walked through Central Park and sat by the Plaza Hotel, as some of us were doing the sex and the city tour and this was our meeting point!!! I was so excited, I am a major fan of sex and the city, I have watched every episode over and over again!!

Our tour started with a really nice and funny hostess, dressed the same as any actor on Sex and the City.  We were shown clips of the show and then we were able to see and visit those locations.

the library
  Our first stop was the pleasure chest shop in greenwich village where charlotte bought her first "rabbit".  Then we stopped at the Magnolia Bakery and had I had the best cupcake of my life!!! It was so good!!! We then drove past the many designer stores that Carrie visited often, and then we were able to take a photo on Carrie's brownstone steps!  Definitely a highlight of the tour!!

After the tour we were dropped back at the Plaza hotel and we had to make our own way back to the hotel.  Bree and I had originally planned to see a broadway show, but by the time the tour finished, it was too late to go to Times Square and buy discount tickets.  Plus we were so tired and cranky!!!  So we had to catch two trains to get back to the hotel and both of us fell asleep.  We woke up to have dinner but were so tired that we barely spoke a word to each other.  Tomorrow was going to be another full day.

bree in central park :)