EuropeFranceNice

Contiki Day 12 - Nice, France

Nice Travel Blog

The mediterranean

It was the first day of the tour to really get a sleep in and of course, my phone was ringing at 7am!! I tried to go back to sleep and eventually got out of bed at 9.30am.  Bree and I were planning to meet up with Liz and Julia and spend some time at the beach.

We met the girls at 10.30am and slowing made our way down the beach.  We stopped to window shop and look around, and it was lunch time before we knew it.  We decided to have MacDonalds as it was the easiest thing at the time.  I have a cheese royale aka a quaterpounder.  We then finally made our way to the beach! It was already really busy and we managed to spot the New Zealand girls and Shiv and Mim close by so we decided to sit with them.  It is the weirdest thing seeing pebbles instead of sand!! But I really liked it, it was something different.

me and Bree on the pebbled beach
  We placed our towels down and layed on the pebbles, it felt like you were getting a massage, not bad at all!  Most of us then went for a swim, we always made sure our bags were looked after because of pick pockets in the area.  The water was really nice and crystal clear and so relaxing!! Though the hard part for me was getting out of the water! I walked toward the shore, but as I got closer, the pebbles got smaller and began tickling my feet.  I tried to run out but my feet sank and I feel over, which in turn made me get stuck in the shore breaking waves.  My body was getting thrown away and I had absolutely no control.  All I could do was laugh, as it was such a futile attempt on my behalf.  The girls thought it was hilarious and I still can't live it down.
Bree and I
  I finally made it out with a run up to the shore, it seemed to work ok, with Bree's help!

The next couple of hours consisted of sunbaking, swimming and more sunbaking!! Bree and a few of the other girls went parasailing, but I am scared of heights so was the official photo taker on the ground.  It looked like fun but my fear is the ropes won't hold my larger than average body weight and I would go plummeting to the water!! I know I am dramatising, but those thoughts literally run through my head, lol.

After getting sufficiently burnt, Bree, Liz, Julia and myself decided to do a bit of shopping to find some clothes or shoes for the night.  We went in many shops with no luck.  We then walked into what looked like a nice shop, it had clothes and shoes, exactly what we were looking for!  I spotted a nice animal print dress that I really liked and I wanted to try it on.

Bree Parasailing
  I wasn't sure if it would fit me because I am a big girl and it said one size fits all on the tag, but it was of stretch material so I thought I would give it a go.  I asked the sales person if I could try it on, and in a posh french accent the lady said "no yu cannot, it will not fit you!"....A bit upset, I ran out and started crying.  I think I was tired and it really hit me hard.  I don't think she had a right to say anything, but anyway that is life!! After that incident I really didn't feel like shopping anymore, but I went along with the girls anyway.  We went into a shop that is similar to Myer and David Jones and had a look around.  There was some nice things there and Bree found a nice top and tights.  While Bree and Julia bought outfits, Liz and I decided to walk back to the hotel as we only had a short amount of time to get ready for the night's activities.

Bree made it back just as I was getting out of the shower.  We got dressed up again tonight because we were heading into Monaco!! Once I was out the shower I was able to get a true indication of just how burnt I had gotten while at the beach.  The colour of my legs was the same as the peach/pink cardigan I had on with my black dress.  I like to match but not that much.

We hopped on the bus and I realised that I was not the only one who had gotten really burnt that day.  Mel was on the verge of sun stroke.  We drove to Monaco and straight to the Prince's Palace.  We were not allowed to take photos as there was some function on that night, so we had a look and then walked to our restaurant which was close by.  The food was really nice but like most European restaurants, there was no air conditioning and it was extremely hot, with only one fan accomodating all of us.  After dinner we took some pictures and then hopped back on the bus to be driven to the casino. On the way there, JB asked us to put 1 euro each in a bag he was handing around.  He then gave us one card each from a deck of cards.  The card he calls out wins the money.  Bree one!!! I missed out by one number!! This was really impressive.  The cars lined up outside was enough to realise that this was a rich people's town.  We paid 10 euro entry into the casino and had a look around.  The Grand Casino is actually quite small and only consists of about three rooms.  I went to the poker machines and lost 40 euro in a matter of 10 minutes.  Bree then decided to try her luck with the 50 euro she had won earlier.  She gave the roullette table a go, and had some luck straight away.  She ended up walking out with over 80 euro in her hand, pretty good when she started with nothing.

We headed back to the hotel around midnight, and we went to bed as we had a longest drive to date tomorrow....Barcelona!

bree85 says:
i don't think i lost once at the casino, i was really feeling lucky too, i could of won even more but i didn't put the chip on 9! i put it in the middle so i had 4 numbers instead of one...
Posted on: Jun 26, 2008