Contiki Day 10 - Florence, Italy

Florence Travel Blog

Bree and Me

Today I decided to sleep in.  This morning was supposed to be a guided walking tour of the city, but I didn't feel up to it.  I had a bad knee and thought it was best to rest it.  Bree went with Liz and Julia and I decided to meet them in the square at 11am.  Sarah and Kylie were also sleeping in so I planned to walk in with them.

We made it to the main sqaure after getting a little bit lost, and waited for the rest of the group to meet us there.  It was really hot today, way above 30 degrees celcius! Gypsies were hassling us a bit but they seemed to disappear when Police came sccoting past.  I met up with Bree, Liz and Julia not long after arriving, and the first thing we had to do was go to a leather makihng demonstration with JB.

Bree
  Pretty boring but the leather clothing and handbags were quite nice, and really expensive!  Then I lost Bree and had absolutley no idea where she went.  She ended up sneaking into a jewellery store next door and she bought a bracelet for her brother.

Bree, Liz, Julia and myself then wanted to go shopping!  We walked past a nice clothing shop the night before and set out to find it.  We we could not find it anywhere and found ourselves walking in circles! Every lane looks the same in Florence! We did however find a small shoe store and Bree and Liz both bought a pair of leather high heels to wear out tonight.

We then found some markets and had a look but nothing really interested us.  I then had my first experience with gelato.

Me
  I wasn't too keen to try it but I bought a chocolate ship one and it was so nice!!! I then went into a sunglasses shop and bought two pairs of Christian Dior glasses, one for myself and one for my sister.  I was so excited, my main item I wanted to buy was a designer pair of sunglasses and I finally got them!

By this stage it was really really hot so we decided to walk back to the hotel.  We ran into Joanne, Rosanne and Pat on the way back and they were going to the pool.  Bree decided to go with them but I wanted to have a nap, as did Liz and Julia.  Today was a really good day to do whatever you wanted, and we weren't restricted by the bus, we could come and go as we pleased.

I fell asleep for a good couple of hours and took my time getting ready.

The boys on tour
  We all got really dressed up and hopped on the bus.  Tonight we were getting a group picture taken with Florence as the backdrop.  It was really beautiful from the lookout.  You could see the Duomo stand above everything else.  We then drove into the heart of Tuscany for dinner.  It was really nice and we had waiters serve us who were dresed almost like monks or priests.  We had anitpasto to start, for entree we had lasagne AND penne, and for dinner we had a lamb salad.  It was SO good! The best meal ever!  We also had free bottles of wine on our table and definitely made the most of those!

Magoo then drove the bus back to the city.  On our way I saw a sign which showed the temperature. It was 38 degrees at 9pm! Crazy!  We were dropped off at the space electronic disco!  This place was so much fun, apart from the fact that in Italy there is no age restrictions on who can go into clubs, so we were dancing around young teenagers!! Still the music was excellent and the company was great too.

Bree and I at dinner
  Also something different with this club was that as you enter the club you a receive a card, and it is stamped everytime you order a drink.  At the end of the night you take the card to a separate counter and pay for your drinks then.  It is great when you want speedy service, but when the club closes and everyone is trying to pay for their drinks, it is absolute mayhem!

We were lucky enough to get a cab fairly quickly, and we made it back to the hotel at around 3am.  I decided to go to bed while Bree watched TV downstairs.  For the life of me I could not open the hotel room door!! Luckily Bree came up not long after, we watched MTV in italian before finally falling asleep.  It was our latest night yet!

Julia, Bree and Me