Return to Darjeeling

Darjeeling Travel Blog

Mum and funny baby - jeep sharers.

Two shared jeep journeys today - five hours in all - and both really good. I left Pelling at 7:30 for Jorethang. We snaked our way down the mountain for an hour and a half, to spectacular viws. Arriving in the valley, we followed the Teesta river- with it's crystal clear water and white water rapids, for another hour. Later, at Jorethang, I caught another jeep for Darjeeling. I'm quite liking the jeep thing. It's quite a good way to meet the locals and visiting Bengalis - and they're always friendly and curious about me

After passing through the check point, we made our way back up the mountain again - passing through mile upon mile upon mile of tea plantations. These tea gardens really add something wonderful to already spectacular scenery - the wonderful greens, the manicured bushes each slightly seperated and almost making a pattern on the hillside.

Tea
The various communities built around the plantations were interesting in themselves, and watching the women carrying their baskets of tea, when we had a refreshment stop, was really good. It was a bit of a bum numbing journey though, along potholed and unmade roads - all the less comfortable because the driver picked up a friend along the way - so there were three of us squashed on to two seats again!

After struggling up to the top of Darjeeling from the jeep stand, I managed to find myself somewhere to stay with such luxuries as towels and loo roll - and even a huge wood burning stove in the lounge. I can have a room with a stove tomorrow if I'd like. Lovely! It's a 30s place art deco style place, and I have a big window overlooking Chowrastra, the main square, and a big window seat with cushions to watch the world going by.

simonjulia1960 says:
Love reading these. It sounds great!

Love Simon and Julia
Posted on: Apr 02, 2008
Tea garden workers
Tea garden workers
The Bellevue Hotel - with my windo…
The Bellevue Hotel - with my wind…
Darjeeling