Lazy day

Pelling Travel Blog

I'm warming towards Pelling a bit. It's hard to moan about a place where you can wake up at 5am, and barely need to lift your head from the pillow to see the snowy peaks of the Himalayas. I can overlook there being no power last night, and no water today. Oh - and I've even found a couple of little shops.

After an early breakfast of banana porridge and sweet tea, I set off for a really nice walk to Pemayangtse. The sun was shining on the peaks, the weather was lovely and it was so peaceful. I was alone again, apart from the monks and the stmosphere was really good. As I left at the dot of nine, three jeeps full of tourists arrived - so I was just in time.

I picked up something nice from the tiny bakery stall run by the monastery charity, and after sorting out my transport for tomorrow, plan to sit around in the sun, read and write postcards.

Sounds good.

It's absolutely freezing here. What I've omitted to mention so far, is that no accommodation so far - in Darjeeling or Sikkim, has had any form of heating. Today though, has been particularly cold and damp - it rained all afternoon. A bunch of us spent all the late afternoon and evening in the hostel restaurant/common area chatting and moaning about the cold. We were a proper United Nations of a group - and nearly all were hardy trekkers. But by 8pm we were desperately trying to warm ourselves over tea pots and bowls of Tibetan soup, tormenting each other with talk of hot water bottles, electric blankets and hot showers. I went to bed under two quilts and two blankets, and was still cold. Brrr...

My hostel restaurant/common area.
My hostel restaurant/common area.
photo by: Stevie_Wes