what a weekend!!

Bangkok Travel Blog

view from the room
Wow, I don't even know where to start right now...  On friday morning we found out that we were going to have the whole weekend off!  The boat was being painted on saturday and we aren't a part of that process, so we were able to take friday afternoon off through sunday.  Our first proper weekend since we arrived basically, and much needed.  We decided to take full advantage of the time by going somewhere new.  Our first thought was Vietnam, as some of the guys need to renew their visas and there is a beach there.  But it is farther away than we thought and more of a hassle to get to.  So as soon as we got home from work on friday we showered, packed a backpack, and hopped in a cab to the airport.  We figured there are plenty of flights going cool places, we'd just see what was leaving first and get tickets.
one of the boats
  My cab consisted of myself, Boomer, Kevin, and Eliot, and we were the first to arrive at the airport so we decided to go to Koh Samui, an island in Thailand south of Bangkok.  We booked tickets and hotel at a booth in the airport, and then had some time to chill before our flight left at 8.  Eliot and I had lunch at a sushi restaurant at the airport, and I was soooo excited to have my favorite sushi because I haven't had it in forever!!  I also got the latest US magazine, so I was able to catch up on my Hollywood gossip, phew!  Our plane flight was under an hour, and they managed to serve us drinks and a full meal during that time, which was nice.
walkway to the beach
  When we landed in Koh Samui it was just like being back in the islands!  The airport was a series of wooden huts, and a van picked us up from the airport and drove us through some winding streets to our hotel.  (Winston, Jay, Jon Pickett, and Careen were booked in another hotel just down the beach so they were dropped off there).  Even though it was dark and we couldn't see a whole lot, we could tell that our hotel was absolutely gorgeous!  We didn't spend much time there though, just enough to change and then we headed out to find some entertainment.  We hopped in a cab that took us to the center of the island to a sort of bar called "Escape."  I wouldn't really call it a bar, so much as an event.  It took up the whole beach area that we were on, and had a stage set up at one end with lots of lights and speakers, and there were tables and teak lawn chairs set up with lights all the length of the beach.
pool shaped like a boat!
  There were a few bars set up at various places.  We had a great time hanging out there and listening to the music (a DJ).  By the time we left there were a couple hundred people there, both Thai and Westerners.  I woke up the next morning at 9 to the most glorious sight- the ocean!!  The view from the room was beautiful, and the hotel was even more gorgeous than I had thought.  It's called the "Boathouse," and the centerpiece of the hotel are about 30 real teak rice barges that have been converted to individual hotel room suites.  We had two rooms on the outside building around them, overlooking the boats, one of the two pools, and the gardens.  And of course an ocean view!  Our breakfast buffet was amazing, partly because you can't get "proper" breakfast food easily where we are, and partly because it was just so huge!!  I had two fried eggs (both shaped like stars), toast, hash browns, and yogurt with muesli.
my yummy breakfast
  Sooo good.  The guys spent the day on rented motorbikes exploring some of the island and climbing to see a waterfall.  It sounded like they had a great time, even with getting lost, a few cuts and bruises, and an attack on a backpack by a monkey.  I however, spent almost the entire day by the pool, loving EVERY minute of it.  I can't even describe how relaxing it was, just to be able to lie on my lawn chair with a book and go swimming whenever I wanted.  The big pool is next to the beach and is shaped like a boat (not in a cheesy way), and is about 90 degrees!  Just how I like it!  I spent my day reading my book, then swimming in the pool, then reading, then pool, etc etc.  There were a bunch of other people by the pool, mostly middle aged English couples and a few kids, but everyone was really quiet and all I could hear was the ocean, the frogs, and the birds.
breakfast area
  I eventually wandered outside the hotel and down the street a bit to find lunch, which I ate at a little Thai cafe by the side of the road that had 3 tables and was playing classic rock.  I had also run out of sunscreen, which my stomach and back can attest to by their blotchy sunburn, so there was the inevitable visit to the omnipresent 7-11.  Then it was back to the pool!  The guys returned in the late afternoon and we swam some more before going to get ready for dinner.  We ate at the other hotel our group was staying in, at a really nice restaurant almost on the beach.  That night we spent some time in town, which was full of bars and live music and shopping and tourists and a bit overwhelming... so when the guys decided to back to the place from last night, I backed out and headed back to the hotel and went to bed.
the girls that work at the beachside spa place
  The sleep was much needed and I got up at 8 excited for another great breakfast!  We didn't have to leave for the airport til 3, so we got late checkout from the hotel and spent the day swimming more in the pools and the ocean, and I got a pedicure in a hut by the beach!  It was an absolutely amazing weekend, and of course we were sad to leave today to return to the city.  We're all excited to see what the boat looks like tomorrow though!  Even though I could really have been anywhere tropical this weekend (the only Thai people at our hotel were the ones that work there), I think Koh Samui is one of the most beautiful places I've been to (ok ok, so the hotel pool was one of the most beautiful I've been to) and I really really want to go back someday.
the beach
  Maybe we all just appreciated it more because of the contrast from the city, but it was the perfect weekend and one I'll remember for a long time!
breakfast area
the girls that work at the beachsi…
the girls that work at the beachs…
pool number two