tgif, I think...

Bangkok Travel Blog

tapping
Yesterday was more of the same... but I'm not sure I have described our latest project in all it's glory.  Just when I thought I was done with tapping, it came back to bite me in the ass.  I don't know why we didn't think of it before, but obviously the sail has to be pulled up the mast somehow.  Like you pull the top end up with a line, but it has to be attached to the mast in some way to keep the proper shape.  Some older boats have wooden rings that circle the whole mast and go through the sail, kind of like a giant shower curtain.  Argo has whats called a "mast track," in other words, the most tedious process EVER.  Each mast will have a very thin (less than an inch in width probably) piece of aluminum running from the top to bottom (almost) with several HUNDRED holes in it.
tapping
  Like one hole every seven and half centimeters to be precise.  Imagine that on masts almost a hundred feet tall.  So what I'm saying basically is there are a lot of holes.  First you make a marking where each hole is on the mast, then you measure to make sure that it's right (even one milimeter off can ruin the whole thing), then you "punch" a marking with a metal punch, then you drill the hole, then you measure again, and then you tap....  We have it down to a pretty good science now so it's going a lot quicker, but in the beginning it was pretty slow.  I can't really remember yesterday very well, but I think that I spent most of the day tapping.  Today I spent most of the day sanding.  The morning was pretty slow (the hour and half leading up til lunch is always the longest) but in the afternoon I was really motivated and had a lot of energy and it was really fun.  Jay and I were on top of the charthouse sanding with hand sanding boards, my preferred sanding method.  Everything would have been complete had I had my iPod, so I'm going to charge it up tonight and hope to do some sanding tomorrow.  Then it would be perfect.  Yup, I said tomorrow.  We're going to work most of the day tomorrow, which is cool, I just hope to sleep in a little later than 6!  I'm excited for sunday, maybe going to the market or Trav's pool, or both.
and more tapping