ohh mondays...

Bangkok Travel Blog

cute yard dog

So I don't have a whole lot new to report, just had a few minutes of computer time and thought I'd write so there is less to catch up (and remember) later.  Saturday night was pretty fun.  We all went out to dinner to a Vietnamese restaurant that was reallllly good, and even though I know you all don't care what I have to eat for every meal, I'm going to tell you anyway!  I had grilled salmon on top of angel hair pasta and pumpkin soup for dinner (all sort of mini-portions) and the yummiest desserts ever.  I had some apple strudel and delicious ice cream wrapped in a crepe drizzled with light honey sauce....mmmmmm.  We tried to go out on sat night at Kao San Rd., but because the elections were the next day I guess no one can sell alcohol the night before.

working on the galley
  That was ok, we ended up just hanging out at the apartment.  I slept in on sunday and did a bunch of errands around town.  The one day sky train pass is such a good deal that I end up zipping around everywhere just so I can get my money's worth (not hard, just 4 trips).  I ended up at some malls later and did a little bit of shopping, then had my favorite sandwich at the English pub for dinner.  Today at work Jay, Tom, and I spent 9 hours doing a wonderful little thing called taping.  Very exciting, yeahhh.... because we are going to oil the teak soon, all the areas around the wood need to be taped off so no excess oil gets on them.  That doesn't sound too bad, just throw some masking tape up and no big deal.
Boomer pondering his Mexican dinner
  Ha!!!  I never appreciated until now the fairly intricate level of woodworking on the boat.  There are little bits of wood trim everywhere!!  And of course you have to be very careful with lining up the tape, or oil will leak through.  I spent a lot of time in dark corners of the cabins.  We went through at least twenty rolls of mini-masking tape and cleaned out the yard's supply, so we have to pick some more up tomorrow before work.  And we only got through the heads and a cabin and a half!  It's not so bad though, with a fan it isn't so bad being down below and out of the sun for a little while.  It's going to be more taping for a while!  The main progress down below that is obvious (like besides more electrical stuff) is the galley.  It's really coming together.  Looks like a mess, my pictures aren't that great, but most of the cabinets are up or at least sitting there, and they moved the oven into place today.  Tonight we all had dinner at The Great American Rib Restaurant, or something like that.  We'd been there before.  I know you're picturing some awful neon sign, air conditioned monstrosity.  But it's a gorgeous outdoor area with trees and lights and picnic tables.  It was all you can eat Mexican night, which the boys took advantage of for sure.  Yikes it's getting time for bed... hope everyone had a great weekend!

Bangkok