long week

Bangkok Travel Blog

salon

Soooo, it's been a while since I last wrote... it's been a long week and I can't totally remember what we did, but I'll try to piece it together.  At work we've been doing lots of random things, like wetsanding the masts in between topcoats, sanding dirt and rust dust that has collected on parts of the deck, sanding and painting the booms and attaching hardware to them, filling in and sanding the davits, whipping lines on the martingale... just sort of taking care of loose ends while we wait for a bunch of the stuff to be finished by the Thai workers.  They have so many projects started right now that we don't have a whole lot to do until they are finished next week or so, and then there will be a huge push to get things done for the launch.

plate selection
  I think that is still tentatively scheduled for April 8th.  Today the rudder went in for good, so that was cool to see.  The masts get their last coat of paint on monday, and then our crew can get the mast track in place and start getting some of the wiring ready.  The interior looks really great, the galley counters are just about in place and the salon tables and benches are up.  There are still a lot of wires everywhere and electricians going crazy in every corner, but she really is coming together well inside.  Another big project coming up is going to be oiling all the teak with a special oil that is hopefully arriving next week.  Also, today the topsides (hull) got their last coat of paint, so just some polishing next week and then it's on to the boot stripe (dark green paint at the waterline) and bottom paint (red).
lots o' cups
  Having these random projects spread throughout the week meant that we didn't always have things to do, so we had some time off.  On tuesday afternoon we all split up to go shopping in the afternoon.  Eliot and Jason went to Pantip Plaza, the huuuuuuuuge computer superstore (I have pictures of it posted from the first couple days here) and bought all the computer, printer, cable, speaker stuff, etc.  Boomer, Kevin, and Jay looking for various types of systems gadgets.  They came back with an ax and a few other little things, but found that the Samut Prakan/Bangkok scavenger hunt was a lot harder than they thought.  Between transportation issues and the language barrier, they went to about 11 places over the course of the afternoon.
Jason in the galley
  Winston and I had the fun job of finding all the galley things.  We started at Tesco (where I tested pillows by lying on the floor with them, how else are you going to check them out?), made our way to the Emporuium department store, HomePro, and then Paragon department store by about 8 at night.  We spent most of our time at Emporium, where everything was on sale and good quality.  Picking out these things was not as easy as it sounds.  We looked at every item, picked up, handled, bent, pushed, prodded, and of course, argued over which was the best.  After a while the salespeople realized we were going to be there for a long time, so they left us alone to debate and magically appeared whenever we had decided something to whisk it away to our pile by the counter.
Eliot painting in the engine room
  It was a pretty successfull mission overall, and although we're still missing some random things like oh, all the plates/bowls/cups/forks/knives/spoons, we have a lot of options and know where to go back to.  It was really fun to wander the stores and I spent a lot of time making notes and comparing prices and taking pictures of things to show Travis.  We were definitely tired when we got back, but it was a fun day.  I ended up going on an errand with Travis that was supposed to be quick but ended up taking over an hour, but it was cool to run around the city at night and I saw the lobby of one of the coolest hotels ever.  I definitely want to go back in the daytime and check it out.  We had another afternoon off this week and ended up spending a couple of hours in the cab trying to find this one paint store, that turned out to be an hour away and not so much a store as the factory where they make the paint.
Jay working on a boom
  But we were able to order what we needed so that worked out.  Thursday night we all went out to Outback steakhouse, and it was like we were in the US.  Well, only because all Outbacks look the same.   But the food was soooo good.  Last night I went to my favorite noodle place, and tonight we're all going out to dinner somewhere with Jim (who arrived yesterday).  I don't know what I'm doing yet tomorrow, but I'm excited for it!

lots o cups