greetings from Thailand!

Bangkok Travel Blog

my bed (Careen's is the pink one)

Hello everyone!! I’m in Thailand… isn’t that veeeeird!  My adventures started the morning of the 17th at 5:30 am.  I stayed at my aunt and uncle’s the night before just outside of Boston and took the shuttle bus to the airport.  There I met up with Kevin, one of the other staff who I have worked with at ActionQuest for the past two summers.  We flew to Chicago and met up with Boomer, who will be the skipper of Argo this summer and onwards.  The flight to Japan was actually really nice.  We had a row of four middle seats for the three of us and the legroom (not that I’m one to talk) was actually really good and we were able to put all of our bags up so we could stretch our feet out.

Boomer and Kevin watching tv
  The flight attendants really outdid themselves and always appeared just when we were wishing for something.  The only thing missing was a little tv screen on each seat (I’m spoiled, I know) so we had to watch the movies from far away on a grainy screen that I could barely see over the seat in front of me.  But I slept through all of them except Beethoven’s 2nd.  It was pretty random that they showed that movie.  Don’t get me wrong, I love Beethoven and I happen to own the first one on VHS, but that was when I was about 8.  We only had an hour in the Tokyo airport but I think we made the best of our time by getting takeout sushi and sake!  Well, the boys had sake and I had a soda.  During the flight I remembered that I had been in love with this particular Japanese soda when I was there in second grade and had been obsessed with finding it ever since.
crew house "living room"
  While we were eating our sushi at the gate I overheard the guy behind me talking about it and he said they sold it in the vending machines there.  So I ran and changed a couple dollars into yen and got a Pocari Sweat soda!!!!! (yes, that’s what it’s called- it’s an “ion replacement drink” apparently)  My fifteen year quest is complete!!  Of course I saved the bottle and it’s sitting by my bed right now.  We were all struck during our hour in Japan by the politeness and friendliness of the Japanese people.  Everything was just so much more pleasant.  Going through security was a breeze and I found myself thanking them profusely as I walked through.  During the boarding process they held up a little sign saying the seats that were boarding, no loud radio announcements.
mystery meat breakfast for the boys
  Our flight to Bangkok wasn’t quite as pleasant as the first.  The seats seemed a lot more cramped, but it may have also been that I was in the middle seat between Boomer and a random Japanese dude who didn’t exactly respect his seat boundaries.  I slept through most of the flight though and we landed in Bangkok without incident.  Even though I’d spent about 20 hours on planes since I left Boston, it really didn’t feel that long.  Sleeping through some of it helped, but also having almost no layover time in airports was nice.  We pretty much walked on and off each flight and onto the next.  So our travel time really was traveling time and not waiting time.  Customs and immigration in Bangkok were really easy and we pretty much just walked right through and got in a taxi to the apartment.
breakfast place #1
  Even though it was after midnight there were so many people outside!! Our half an hour ride was through a pretty busy street and it seemed like the whole city was out.  The most random thing was seeing a 7-11 on every block, and then an elephant just chilling in the street.  We met up with John and Eliot at the apartment and they helped us get all our stuff up and inside.  There are two apartments next to each other and I am in the one that has the couches and tv so there are always people around, which is nice.  I unpacked, showered, and then went to bed at around 3.  This morning I woke up at 8 but I had no idea what time it was (mainly because I don’t have my watch/alarm running yet) because there are no windows in my room!  It was pitch black and could have been any time of day.
eating noodles for breakfast
 Boomer and Kevin were up and watching the BBC in the living room so I got up and got ready to go (and hooked the computer up- Ethernet, woohoo!)  We went off exploring and in search of food and walked quite a ways down the main street that we are on.  Bangkok is pretty much an assault on the senses- loud noises, busy streets, food and food smells EVERYWHERE, but all of it not in a bad way.  It’s kind of exciting to be in the middle of it.  Kevin and Boomer were adventurous and found a street vendor and just pointed at one of the indescribable mounds of food and got a big plate of it.  They said they have no idea what it was and that it was incredibly spicy, but good.  I decided to be not quite that adventurous and I waited til we found a noodle shop before eating.  We all got bowls up noodles and broth and cokes for $3!! Total!!  It’s pretty crazy.  Now we’re getting ready to go out again and maybe go on a riverboat around the city.  It’s pretty hot here and in the sun a bit uncomfortable, so I’m wondering how we’re all going to manage with long sleeves and boiler suits in the yard!!  I like the weather though and I’m not complaining, yet!!!  Next weekend is the Chinese New Year and is supposed to be a big party, so that will be fun, and I’m guessing that after tomorrow we’ll be spending most of our time in the yard in between then.  OK I’m off to go exploring- email me back!!

my bed (Careens is the pink one)
my bed (Careen's is the pink one)
crew house living room