Happy March!!!

Bangkok Travel Blog

me and my hats
I can't believe it's March already!  Crazy!  I don't think we did anything sunday night, and it was off to work again of course early monday morning.  Sanding, sanding, and more sanding!  I forgot to put some pictures up that I had taken on thursday and friday.  One of those particularly hot days when we didn't have the tarps up for shade (because the masts were up instead), the ladies came over to me and gave me a straw hat to wear.  Normally if it's sunny out I wear my visor underneath my hardhat and that works out pretty well.  But I didn't want to offend them, and didn't really know how to politely decline in Thai, so I wore it.  "It" actually turned out to be two hats on top of each other, not really sure why, but who was I to say anything?  And they were about two sizes too small for me and barely stayed on my head with the breeze, let alone be able to fit my hard hat on top.
me and the 2 of the girls
  So I spent the rest of the afternoon sanding at angles that didn't require me to bend my neck much, or the hats would fall off.  Two of the girls wanted their picture taken with me, so right before the masts went up I posed with them on the bow.  Ten minutes and a bunch of hand gestures later I finally figured out that they both wanted copies of the picture, one so she could show it to her baby.  So I spent an hour or so monday night at Tesco doing a little shopping, having dinner, and getting the pictures printed out.  They were really excited the next day to get the pictures and I have a feeling I'm going to be doing more of that before we leave!  Today I tried to figure out how old her "baby" is, figuring baby was the only English word she knew for the idea.
my day
  So first I started tiptoeing around deck, trying to simulate "toddling" or walking.  That got a bunch of people watching.  But they all cracked up when I got down on all fours and started crawling around on deck.  She understood then and did my tiptoe dancing to say that her baby is walking.  Someone from our group brought a phrasebook in and the workers have been getting really excited about it and spend a lot of time huddling in the corner trying to figure out words.  I tried to explain to them through the book that I love dogs, and I used to have a fat one.... but I'm not sure how much of that got through.  For all I know, I could have been calling them fat dogs!  Last night I babysat for Hannah again, which was fun and I'm sad that she and Laura are leaving today :-(  Tonight was another Tesco dinner night.... noodles... mmmm.
the rough part is what I sand off