Bergen: in the land of the fjords

Bergen Travel Blog

Bryggen waterfront

Bergen, the second-largest in Norway is also one of the most beautiful in the country. It is the gateway to the fjords, and logically the country’s prime tourist destination.

The Unesco World Heritage listed Bryggen waterfront gives a glimpse of what the city might have looked like hundreds of years ago. Beautiful colourful woorden houses, aligned along a vibrant waterfront. A great place to wind down with a beer or two.

Another must-see attraction is the Fløibanen, a funicular to the top of Mount Fløyen. From here you can see all over central Bergen and the fjords beyond it.

However, the main reason for me to travel to Bergen was to leave it again. The train ride between Bergen and Oslo is one of the greatest in the world, passing through the mountains of central Norway.

I only had two days for my trip to Bergen, as I did it during a visit to friends in Oslo, so all I had was basically this train ride. I flew from Oslo to Bergen, spent a day in Bergen and took the train back the next day. The one hour flight cost only half as much as the 12-hour train ride, so it was amazing people even still use the train. It was worth every penny though, as the scenery was stunning. All the while I wanted to get off! To go out and explore!

While sitting on this train I decided I really really have to properly visit this country some time.

Stigen says:
You should`nt waste your time in Oslo...Bergen has all the action and beauty. If you like the train ride you should buy the HD-video from it, the perfect background pictures if you are enteraining at home ;)
Posted on: Feb 22, 2013
vodkaphix says:
sounds like me could do with a visit too, The train sounds wonderful fun.
Posted on: May 18, 2009