AsiaVietnamHue

Peace and Zen in Hue

Hue Travel Blog

Tu Duc Lake
Hue was by far my favorite place to visit so far in Vietnam. I hired a tour guide to make the most of my time and to avoid touring with a large group. I think the people in Hue are wonderful. The culture in this city is very conservative just like me!! :). My guide took me to Tu Duc tomb and I was speakless with the feeling in this place. The Emporer built the tomb and ended up living many years after it's completion. He found the environment so peaceful that he had a simple house built on one of the lakes and he would spend a few days each week working from this site. The site is huge with lakes, the house, a temple and a huge village (in ruins) for his many wives and children. The theme is simplicity, and I really enjoyed this place so much.
Tu Duc House

The tomb of Dai Noi was much more modern and the euro influence is obvious. He was obviously not a true emporer of Vietnam, but rather a puppet of the French. He incorporated many euro architectural features, as well as traditional features. This tomb is incredibly ornate with an amazing amount detail.

The Purple Forbidden City my last stop. This city is for royalty only and the common people were forbidden (hahaha obviously). Mostly in ruins, this place is being renovated. In good condition is the gatehouse, the Temple and the Library. For lunch I insisted to go away from any tourist place so my guide took me to her favorite, Huyen Anh. This was a great simple place. We sat and then the fun began. I got many smiles, and since we were having a late start on our lunch, everyone was mostly finished. As people left, they came over to greet me. This was fantastic experience and I felt like i was a new resident being welcomed to Hue. Very nice.

mario26 says:
ahaha maybe another time with u u will show me something different
Posted on: May 23, 2008
jmaxiv says:
Thanks for your opinion, maybe our experience was different. The people I met were not so agressive, but very nice. I agree about the party, LOL this is not the place to make a great time in that way. I think you save that for Saigon! LOL
Posted on: May 23, 2008
mario26 says:
ahahaha im not agree for many things hue was wonderfull but i was thinking the people there was more agressive of another place in vietnam but that only point ake me feel not very safe and i dont really aprreciate my time there but for all the monument ur right bros it was so peacefull and relaxe but down town hue wow is not rock ahahaahahahah but i spend good time anyway ther etoo cause it was my birthday ahahahaah!!!!!!!!
Posted on: May 22, 2008
Forbidden City Library
Forbidden City Library
Guide with Drum
Guide with Drum
Bun Thit Nuong (grilled pork)
Bun Thit Nuong (grilled pork)
Perfume River