Day 15: Dalanzadgad - Tsagaan Suvraga

Tsagaan Suvraga Travel Blog

on the road to Tsagaan Suvraga, passing desert number 21

Nora had used last night's stay in the city to fix his car. And with fixing his car, I mean properly fixing it. Nora had the tendency to stop every 30 minutes or so and dive into the engine (under the driver seat) to twiddle a bit here and there because the engine wasn't sounding the way it should. In Dalanzadgad he had finally taken the car to a mecanic to do some really proper fixing, and the car was running smoother than ever. Nora too, I must say, as he was in the best of moods all day long.

Once again we had a day with constantly changing scenery. We lost count of the different kinds of desert we had seen, but we were all sure the Mongolians had not done the Gobi justice by only having 33 different names for desert - there are far more types of desert out here.

and desert 32

We stayed the night near Tsagaan Suvraga, a beautiful part of the desert which resembles the painted desert in Utah, USA. We drove up to a set of eroded limestone cliffs, from where you had a fantastic view over the desert floor down below, which bore colors from white and yellow to pink and deep red.
We spent a good two hours scaling the cliffs and exploring the area, before we headed back to the ger camp where we were staying the night.

We were pretty early, so we had a long night 'off' which we celebrated by drinking our last beers and vodka on a little patio the family had built for their guests. And then the horror - another jeep arrived. We had had it before that we weren't the only ones staying the night with a family - most families we stayed at had two gers for guests, and many times the other one had been occupied as well.

Tsagaan Suvraga
However, all previous times the people staying at the other gers had been either very nice, or they had chosen their holiday was better if they ignored us - either way suited us fine.
Not so this group. This group consisted of five British students, who can't have been more than 18 years old, who had been travelling around Asia on their daddy's credit cards for the past two months. And they were awful. Once their car arrived they let their driver carry all the luggage into the ger, and then they simply stood by and watched as the driver unfolded a bunch of folding chairs and a table in front of the ger, so that they could sit down and have dinner (which was prepared by the guide who accompanied them, not by the family).
But that wasn't the worst - if people don't know any manners, that's their problem, not mine.
Tsagaan Suvraga
But then they opened the car doors to use the car stereo to play some really loud (and really bad) techno music, effectively killing any sense of atmosphere or 'middle of nowhere' feeling we'd had in these desert surroundings.

It actually got so bad that eventually I walked over to them and asked them, the kindest I could muster, if they could please shut the fucking shite music down. Fortunately their guide agreed with me, and the music was killed.
Naturally this action didn't create much of a good mutual bond between our two groups, so the rest of the night we all stayed well clear of eachother. The problem was that we were out of booze, and they still had some, but we couldn't be bothered to join their 'party' (not that they were likely to invite us anyway) so in the end we just retired to bed.

vodkaphix says:
The youth of today, me me me me me, to hell with consideration of others, well done for not suffering in silence, mind u, i would have done the same, especailly if the music had been that gawd awful RAP!
Shysters!!
Posted on: Apr 21, 2009
bert1978 says:
beautifull pictures
Posted on: Oct 25, 2008
Biedjee says:
meh :-)
Posted on: Jun 15, 2008
on the road to Tsagaan Suvraga, pa…
on the road to Tsagaan Suvraga, p…
photo by: Biedjee