Africa: The Journey Home

Windhoek Travel Blog

I woke up this morning and took my time getting ready. I had the lady at the hotel front desk call a car for me to take to the airport. I left the hotel around 11 am. There is a check station right outside the city, and when we stopped, the guard came over to the window and asked the driver where we were going. He said to the airport. The guard asked him how we were related, and the guy said, this is my friend. He asked him my name, and was really forceful. The driver told him to ask me, that I could speak for myself. The guard started yelling at him asking for his license. Then another guard opened the back door and asked me how we were related...I'm like, "do we look like we're related?" I said he was taking me to the airport. And he said "like a taxi?" I said yes. Then the first guard took the guy's license, and told him to go drop me off and then come back. I don't really know what it was all about, but it was a little unnerving. My first thought was that he is not a registered taxi driver, but just a friend of the girl working the front desk who needed some extra money. I felt bad for him, though, because I could tell he was really embarrassed.

So I finally made it to the airport and got checked in. The Oneil family from Kaisosi ended up being on my flight to South Africa, so it was nice to know someone there. I made it to Johannesburg on time and switched airlines with no problems (except that the lady at the counter asked me like 10 times in 10 different ways if I had checked baggage at the beginning of my journey. She didn't seem to want to believe that I made such a long trip with just a carry-on, and then was on my way to Dakar, Senegal. This was an 8-hour flight. We had a brief stopover to let some people off and others on, and also they had to do a security check of the plane. We had to point out our belongings, and then clear out of the aisles so they could check the seat pockets and cushions for anything that shouldn't be there. After about an hour on the ground, we took off on the 9-hour flight to Atlanta, GA.

photo by: v10