Van Goghs ear

Saint-Remy-de-Provence Travel Blog

The one-ear-painter

I left Avignon after a very petit breakfast for yet another long day trip - the road to Saint Remy de Provence is a huge 20 km drive. Saint Remy is a nice French village, which you cannot pass without giving it a proper visit. I found a lovely small hotel (Hôtel du Soleil**, 35 avenue Pasteur), dropped my car and walked through the old streets. This is the birthplace of Nostradamus and I wondered if he had predicted my visit. His bust is somewhere above a dirty fountain near Hôtel de Sade. Must have been a kinky place here!

Just south of the village are the remainders of Glanum, a Greco-Roman town with big memorials, known as Les Antiques. Beside the tower mausoleum of Julius stands the Arc de Triomphe, an arch from 10 B.C. celebrating Caesar's conquest of the Greeks and Gaul.

In May 1889 Vincent van Gogh arrived in Saint Remy coming from Arles. After mutilating his ear he was taken in at the Saint Paul de Mausole cloister hospital. I visited the cloister, in which one room was decorated with some repros of Van Goghs paintings (one with the bandage around his head of course) and a simple chair and bed. I could hardly imagine that this was the bed Vincent used...

Hôtel de Sade