Didnt think leaving Guatemala City would be so difficult.

Antigua Travel Blog

Random night out.
Didnt think leaving Guatemala City would be so difficult.

SO I had it all planned out. Lonely Planet says, "Just go to the corner of 18th Calle and 4th ave and pick up the bus to Antigua". Not so easy. After being dropped off in sketchy-sketchville, I stood there for 15 mins waiting. According to LOnely Planet, the bus should come every few minutes. Nothing. I ask a local. They say up the street a bit. I move there. 30 minutes waiting there. Nothing. Many buses, but none to Antigua. I ask a group of younger girls and they bust out laughing. I ask a store clerk and she says something else. I ask a police officer, he sends me down another street. The wrong way. I sit down for a bit. Recoup and try again.
No luck. I decided to walk back to the hostel(Hour walk) thinking I may see the bus on my way. No luck. I arrive back to the hostel owner's surprise. We did some research and realized there was another place to try.

We go to this other sketchy place. Wait for the bus. Its not labeled of course, but I hear out of the corner of my ear... "Tigua, Tigua , Tigua", I said "Antigua"????
He said YES! Woohoo.. Now the only problem was that the bus had already taken off... so with the bus moving the guy opens the back of the bus and I take a big running start and dive in. On my way. And my first Chicken Bus Experience.

I got to Antigua by 6 and quickly found my hostel. Perfect. I loved it here. I went to a cafe and experienced some of the best overall ambience in any place I'd ever been to. Music, Scenery. Everything.

After I thought I was going to bed, but ended up going out to 3 different bars w/ 2 people that were staying in the same area as me. Matt and Lauren. They were a couple really cool cats. We closed down each bar. Most of them closing by around 1230-1am. Early.

Antigua