Homestay

Galway Travel Blog

I'm just back from my homestay in Tuam Co. Galway and it was soo much fun, apparently everyone else got better cooked meals than I did but then again my home-mommy was a stay at home mom with two small girls (absolutely adorable) ages 3 1/2 and 5 1/2 so I can't really blame her.  That and the people I was living with had some food issues like not eating red meat or being lactose intolerant, so it was kinda hard for her.  But we had a wonderful time, the town is really small and there wasn't much to do, but Saturday we looked around the town and found a hat shop called Bare Necessities.  Alyson, Sara, and myself were in the store for about an hour trying hats on and taking lots of silly pictures, I'm amazed at how nice and patient the woman who was at the counter was, but feeling bad we bought a small little feather clip thing for Alyson when we were leaving.  We trudged home to find a dead kitten laying in someone front yard which was horrifying and I felt sick for a good portion of the afternoon.  However, after the wave of nausea we took the two girls on a trip to the park and let them run around while we took hundreds of pictures of them, literally. Again my connection is so slow that I will have to upload them later at the university.   We taught them about making wishes on dandelions and how buttercups turn your throat yellow if you like butter.   We went home, took showers, and played with the kids before going up to bed ridiculously early for three 20somethings.  Instead of going out we, in our pjs, played MASH and made several other 6th grade predictions about how our lives were going to turn out, it was amazing in its silliness.   This morning we laid in bed most of the day, colored pictures with the girls and finally packed up and headed home.  The best part of the trip was the kiss and hug that the little girl gave me.  Its amazing how attached I became to those kids after two days, but now I'm starving so I'm gonna go make some pasta for dinner. Oh by the way I still think Turkish is the most disgusting candy I've ever eaten.
Galway