First real day here

Limerick Travel Blog

Hey, so today was the first real day after the jetlag that is.  Went out with some girls to the pub last night, it was called the Corner Flag and there was a guy playing a guitar and singing bad American pop music.  We left after a pint and when a pop/techno version of Stand By Your Man started to be played.  Some guy at the pub managed to spill three Guinesses on himself and his wife/girlfriend/friend.  It was pretty funny. Anyway, woke up at 8 this morning, went to breakfast (yum, fried eggs and toast :-9) then went to a neighboring hotel for a day of Orientation.  We got our addresses and roommates, which turns out to be one of the girls I went out with last night :) she likes to read so I think we're gonna work out just fine.  When they set us free after lunch I went in search of a bookstore with three other girls.  Sadly I wasted 40 euro on books, found a restaurant called the Fat Zoe Ristorante, lol, and then we headed to the King John's castle where we toured, saw slide shows, visited a medieval mint, and went underground into the archeological dig site below the towers of the castle.  I took lots of pictures which I will update when I have gotten to Galway and my computer is set up.  Tonight we're off to dinner at Bunratty's Folk Party for a "Traditional Irish Night", I know from previous visits that its a really kinda hokey Tourist attraction, but the food is good and the stores across the street are kinda nice, all in all it should be fun.  The Adventure Weekends for my program were cancelled because the program wants to spend more time orienting us to the city and having more group meals, which are unbearably loud.  So no weekend in Dublin for Stef, at least not with the program.  I still might be able to get to Belfast while I'm here though and the Hurling Finals are this coming weekend, Kilkenny vs Cork.  My team got knocked out by Kilkenny, it would have been awesome for Clare to make it to the All Ireland Finals, but oh well I still get to see Hurling on tv.  We've had all the talks during Orientation about how Ireland differs from the US and so far I haven't noticed it.  At least at my house I have separate nobs for hot and cold water, the heat isn't on constantly in my house in the winter, people here are generally easy to understand ( at least no harder than some Americans), although the kids are SOOOOOO loud and I'm sure that even I wasn't as bad a kid as that.   However, now I'm gonna head out and maybe take a shower before dinner.

photo by: Hummingbird