Kharkiv - Railway Station Square

Kharkiv Travel Blog

 › entry 33 of 33 › view all entries
The Kharkiv-Passazhyrskyi Railway Station and the Railway Station Square
The formation of the square was initiated in the late 1960s concurrently with the construction of the Kursk-Kharkiv-Azov railroad. Now, with the majestic buildings, fountains, flower-beds gladdening our eyes, we can hardly believe that once there was a permanently wet swamp (the so-called Archbishop Levada) there. It was here that the architect A. Ton built one of the first Kharkiv railway stations in 1869. However, in the course of time there emerged a necessity of reconstruction to relieve the passenger flow arriving by the Balashovska Railroad. The reconstruction and the modernization of the station were launched in 1896-1901 after the project of the architect I. Zagoskin and brought to conclusion by Yu.
A monument to Father Fedor, a character from 12 Chairs, a novel by famous writers Ilf and Petrov
 Tsaune.

The singularity of the Railway Station in Kharkiv consisted in the fact that a row of prolonged premises stretched along the passing stock (the

so-called «shore type»). However four railway lines were aimed at the end-wall of the edifice (the so-called «dead-lock type»). The trains bound for Kharkiv as the destination terminus arrived there.

The station building constituted an elaborated complex comprising two «-»-shaped premises, the confluence of which was a vast hall crowned by the dome. The station was one of the largest throughout the Russian Empire with seven covered platforms. However, as cited by the 1915 Itinerary Guide, the building was not particularly convenient.

Building of the Southern railroad main office
The distribution of arriving and departing passengers was impeded, inasmuch as their entrances were conjoint. The principle of division underlay the design of Railway Square. The formidable building of the South Railway Board splits the square into respective areas: for departure - in front of the station entrance; for arrival - from Poltavskyi Shlyakh.

The principal building of the station, at present framing the western side of the square all along its length (architects H. Voloshyn, B. Mezentsev, Ye. Lymar), has replaced the former Pivdennyi Railway Station levelled to the ground in 1941-1945. Its main part was constructed in 1952 in the style innate in that time: tower-shaped forms, the solemn character, ten-column portico. It is lent exceptional grandeur through the decoration in natural stone, bronze casting, ceramics, architectural modeling as well as resorting to Ukrainian ornamental patterns.
Building of the Southern railroad main office at night


In the 1980s the building construction was completed in restrained architectural forms, placing a particular emphasis on the ensemble by the high-rise hotel building at the foot of the Kholodnohirskyi overpass. In the 1990s a funny monument to Father Fedor, a character from 12 Chairs, a novel by famous writers Ilf and Petrov, was erected on platform one. Father Fedor is depicted at the moment when he failed to catch up with the train as he meant to fill his kettle with water at the station. The sculptor portrayed him in that very attitude - taking pains to catch up with the train with the kettle in his hand, which makes gentle sunny smiles flicker across the faces of both Kharkivites and the city guests.

The first shaft of the Kharkiv Underground Railway was sunk in the vicinity of Pivdennyi (Southern) Railway Station 15 July, 1968.

Fountains in Railway station square are spectacular at night
The Kholodnohirsko-Zavodska Line was put into operation in August 1975.

In the middle of Railway Station Square, splitting it into two, stands a majestic edifice built in the Neo-Classicism style - the South Railway Board (architects A. Dmitriev, D. Rakitin, eng. P. Rottort, 1912-1914). The construction of the Board was vital, as the Board had been located in 19 rented houses, which considerably hampered the efficient performance of the departments. The road was an immense economy with the daily return of 62,000,000 roubles.

The Board building proved to be one of the most imposing edifices of the pre-revolution city. The four six-storied buildings with single-way corridors and work rooms overlooked the square and Oleksandrivska (now Chervonoarmiyska) Street.
Fountains in Railway station square are spectacular at night
Inside there are two more lengthwise and one transverse buildings which used to house halls. The utility area totals more than 30,000 square meters with six patios. The height of the premises amounts to 3.8 - 4.3 meters. The two lower stories are construed as basement. The building is crowned by the attic storey with parapets, the core of each front is distinguished by risaltoes featuring ingoing portals. The corners of the building are rounded up in the project and consummated by slightly sloping cupolas, with the principal entrance marked by the joint columns and large-scale arcs. In the special part of the building there were established archive premises executed with the help of fireproof metal constructions, whose installation consumed approximately 15,000,000 bricks.

Even nowadays the building captivates by its proportions and the stunning scale of its construction.
Fountains in Railway station square are spectacular at night


The building of the former Central Post Office (now local post office # 52) fringes Railway Station Square on the northern side. It’s noteworthy that that this place had been considered as a prospective site for the construction of the Derzhprom building.

The building was also erected by the design project submitted for the competition (architect A. Mordvinov, 1927-1929) in the style of Constructivism with the application of the reinforced concrete constructions, flat roofs, as well as tape windows. The dynamism of the composition, the functional character of the edifice, has brought it the world-wide fame, like in the case of the Derzhprom building.

The Railway Station Square ensemble is accomplished by the monumental exclusive apartment block built for the needs of the South Railway Road employees (architect O.
The former Central Post Office (now local post office # 52)
 Beketov, 1928).

This seven-storied building complex was dexterously blended by the architect into the surrounding construction - opposite the principal front of the station there towers a laconic rectangular front with the monumental pilasters over the height of all the stories. The second building of the edifice, just opposite the South Railway Board, isn’t only decorated by the Renaissance elements, but is also completed by the sloping cupola, like that of the Board.

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
The Kharkiv-Passazhyrskyi Railway …
The Kharkiv-Passazhyrskyi Railway…
A monument to Father Fedor, a char…
A monument to Father Fedor, a cha…
Building of the Southern railroad …
Building of the Southern railroad…
Building of the Southern railroad …
Building of the Southern railroad…
Fountains in Railway station squar…
Fountains in Railway station squa…
Fountains in Railway station squar…
Fountains in Railway station squa…
Fountains in Railway station squar…
Fountains in Railway station squa…
The former Central Post Office (no…
The former Central Post Office (n…
Fountains in Railway station squar…
Fountains in Railway station squa…
Central part of the railway statio…
Central part of the railway stati…
Hall of the railway station buildi…
Hall of the railway station build…
View of the railway station buildi…
View of the railway station build…
Evening spotlights at Kharkiv rail…
Evening spotlights at Kharkiv rai…
Kharkiv
photo by: viktosha