The Roman Catholic church belfry
Gogol Street (the former Malosumska Street, Kokoshkinskyi Lane) runs parallel to Sumska Street from the west side. It starts from Theatre Square and ends at the Victory Public Garden. There used to be a Lutheran-Evangelical Kirche with a high belfry here. In the 1950s it was pulled down and a high-rise apartment block was constructed on its place.
Now the street is interesting for the combination of modern bank premises, built in the manner of the third-millennium architectural style, and the low-rises of the 19th
century. The building of the former Third Boys Gymnasium
(at 7 Gogol Street; architect A. Hirsh, 1864) also belongs to this type. It was built in «brick» style, popular in Kharkiv
at that period, with the elements of the medieval architecture. The Roman-Catholic Church
(1887-1891) stands opposite this building. It is accomplished in Gothic forms - lancet portals and windows, high belfry, complete with a spire. In the 1990s the church building was returned to the believers. The church restoration work is under way along with the holding of religious service. The scenic part of the restored Pushkin Theatre, as well as the facades of modern buildings, overlook Gogol Street, too.